Chapter 3

Sorry for the late update, I completely forgot x)

I shot up when I heard someone walk into the room. I frowned as my eyes followed Esme as he walked around the room, tidying up - not that his bedroom wasn't clean, on the contrary, it was so sparkly clean and tidy.

"Would you like some breakfast?" He asked, turning around to look at me.

"Uh-" I stammered before nodding. I stood up and winced when pain shot up my spine. He rushed up to help me back into bed. I sighed. I hated this disability of mine. He left the room and came back with a plate of toast and a cup of milk. I blushed, thanking him. A smile ghosted his lips as he watched me eat.

"Would you like some?" I asked him.

He shook his head, looking away. I shrugged finishing up quickly before I hurried to the bathroom. I crouched down to the toilet and threw up what I had just ingested. I squeezed my eyes shut as I heaved.

"Thank you." I muttered when I felt him hold my dark hair back - I should cut it but I liked it longer than most, no longer than my shoulders but long enough. I got up slowly and headed to the sink to brush my teeth as I grimaced at myself. I then washed my face quickly and walked back out the bathroom - where Esme was waiting for me.

"Are you feeling better?"

I hummed, nodding. He looked worried which made me chuckle. "I throw up what I ingest. It's my thing." I joked. He pursed his lips but didn't answer.

I sighed, looking around. "So why are you here anyway?" I finally asked. He rose a brow, confused. "You know, amongst wolves. I mean we mix but not that much. I'm probably the only exception because I'm not really a lion."

"I was abandoned as a child and wolves brought me up." He answered, with no emotion. I tilted my head, staring at him wide eyed.

"I'm sorry, I didn't know." I whispered, looking down. "That must be hard. I was always the black sheep of the family yet I still miss them."

"Your condition doesn't make you less of a lion." He said softly.

"Meh." I shrugged. "Debatable."

He was about to answer when Mack walked in the room with a tall woman behind him.

"Hi, August." She greeted, smiling widely, "I'm the pack doctor. Call me River."

I nodded slowly, glancing at Mack. "Why would I need a doctor?" Mack glared at me. I rolled my eyes.

"Look, I appreciate it, but I don't want or need a doctor." I told them in a huff.

"Says the human." Mack retorted. I bit the inside of my cheek as I felt a pang in my chest. I will always be considered as a human.

"Sit." He then ordered. I sighed and sat down on the bed.

"Could you explain your condition for me?" The doctor asked, walking up to me.

"I'm sure Mack explained it very well." I grumbled. They both glared at me while Esme simply watched the interaction from the side.

I rolled my eyes. "It's not that bad, ok? My spinal cord isn't straight and a quarter of it isn't even functional but I can deal with it. I've had it since birth. I'm used to it."

"What about the pain?" She questioned.

"It's always going to hurt, doesn't mean I can't handle it when it goes up to a 10."

Doctor River sighed, smiling at me softly. "And the vomitting?"

"I was born prematurely. I have trouble digesting food, which isn't that big of a problem as long as I eat every two hours." I asked, smiling.

"You should try eating a bit more. You're a bit too skinny, and I wouldn't want it to affect you anyhow." She muttered.

I huffed. "Let me just spend my time eating and throwing up then." I spat sarcastically.

Mack glared at me. "She's trying to help. We just want you to get better."

I laughed. "You just want me to get better?! I will never get better, Mack. My health is going to continue going downhill until I die. And don't look at me as if you're shocked. We all know I will die sooner or later. I probably won't even last 20 years. So why pretend?!"

The doctor stood up, patting my shoulder. "Would you like me to consult with a human doctor?"

I stared at her in disbelief. "I'm not human!" I yelled angrily, as my eyes became watery. "I'm a lion! I'm not human!"

"August, you have to understand that you don't have any genes that tie you to lions." Mack spoke softly.

I shook my head, tears falling down my cheeks. "I'm not human. I'm a lion. I'm a lion." I repeated, turning my back to them and curling into a ball as I let my tears run down my face.

"Maybe we should stop for now." Esme finally spoke up, as he pushed everyone out of the room. He stayed behind making me huff as I pulled the covers over my head.

"It's frustrating." He started, slowly. I didn't move but stayed quiet as I listened. "Never being accepted but never quite being rejected either. Being the black sheep in the family. Very frustrating. No one understands you. You feel alone. It's hard." He sat on the bed, close to me.

"I know I'm human, but I wish I wasn't. I wasn't even suppose to be." I whispered, wiping my eyes.

He lifted the cover off of my face, and hummed. "I'm a lion. I know one when I see one. And I'm seeing one right in front of my eyes. He's a bit small, but who cares? Being small is cool too."

I chuckled. "Do I really look like a lion to you?"

He nodded, patting my head. "You smell of one for sure. And your eyes are a very light shade of blue - highly rare for a lion but it does prove you are one."

I wrapped my arms around him, sniffling. "Can I stay like this for a bit?" I whispered as I snuggled closer to him, wrapping my legs around his waist and laying my head on his shoulder while I inhaled his scent. He simply rubbed my back soothingly as I slowly fell asleep in his arms.