Chapter 34

I frowned at the sight of Alicia at the doorstep.

"I thought you would be happy to see me." She huffed, pouted.

I chuckled, smiling. "I'm confused as to why you are here. I thought you said you found a job."

"I start next week. I'll be working with kiddies. I can't wait!" She squeaked excitedly as she walked into the house.

I grinned, showing her around. "I'm happy for you."

"What about you? How are you?" She asked.

"I'm fine." I replied, showing her the piano room.

"Wow. This is really nice." She gasped.

I nodded, sitting down on the piano stool. "It's my favourite room."

She chuckled. "Play something for me."

I grimaced, whining. "No. I don't have anything ready and I'm really not that good."

"Oh come on. I bet Benjamin says you're brilliant." She laughed.

I smiled sadly, looking away. "I don't think he likes me playing the piano. Reminds him of Leo. He only did this so that I would forgive him."

She frowned. "I'm sure he loves hearing you play."

I shook my head. "He probably doesn't. I don't play when he's around, anyway."

"Are you happy here, August?" She asked, taking my hand in hers.

"I am for the most part." I replied honestly.

"That's not enough." She grumbled.

"It's the most I'm gonna get. He won't ever love me as much as I love him and it's ok. I'm not the one who stole his breath away. I'm the one who restored it." I explained. She stayed silent as she stared at me.

"Don't tell Mack." I continued.

"Call me as much as you want, August. Even if it's in the middle of the night." She ordered me. I chuckled, hugging her.

"Why don't you play this?" She asked, picking the music sheet from the side. "I'm curious."

"Smile." I deadpanned.

"Pretty please." She smiled brightly. I sighed, but agreed. Benjamin wouldn't know anyway.

"Smile though your heart is aching, smile even though it's breaking, when there are clouds in the sky, you'll get by," I paused, smiling st Alicia. "If you smile through your fear and sorrow, smile and maybe tomorrow, you'll see the sun come shining through for you," I closed my eyes, smiling before I continued.

"Light up your face with gladness, hide every trace of sadness, although a tear may be ever so near, that's the time you must keep on trying, Smile, what's the use of crying You'll find that life is still worthwhile, if you just smile," I smiled sadly, "That's the time you must keep on trying, Smile," I whispered the last word, "what's the use of crying? You'll find that life is still worthwhile, if you just smile." I finished, opening my eyes.

"Oh my gosh. That was beautiful." Alicia breathed out. I smiled.

"Thank you." I answered.

"Can you play something else for me?" She asked.

"I was working on Satie's first Gymnopedie." I muttered, opening the music sheet. She nodded excitedly. I chuckled and started playing. She clapped her hands once I finished and I chuckled.

"How are you this good?" She grinned.

"I used to take lessons but then my parents forbid me from going. But I always loved the piano." I cleared.