2 | Elijah, the Brother

Imagine the man is Elijah

The world falls apart around her. The ropes around her wrist do not burn as badly; the sunlight hitting her eyes lessens; the pain in her chest alleviates.

It is almost as if he had yelled at her yesterday.

"How could you be so reckless? You could have been killed!"

The pain of their deaths was too fresh. The wound hadn't healed yet. And Elijah's words had only opened it more.

"This is unprecedented, Alexis. Do you know what you've done? Do you understand that it barely matters?"

It was as if they did not matter. As if their deaths were nothing.

Tears line Lexi's eyes as her smile disappears.

Their faces flash in front of her eyes once more. Their screams ring in her ears as Elijah slowly approaches her.

He tilts his head as if she were an experiment. He hadn't even seen Elena yet. Only she mattered right now.

"Hello," he says.

A sneer tears through her face. "That is all you have to say to me, Elijah?" She bites the inside of her lips. "Hello? After five years?"

"I see that you are upset—"

"You know that this is not just upset."

Elijah lets his eyes move up and down her figure, eventually falling on her tied hands. He rips the vervain ropes away. "Alexis—"

"Don't Alexis me," she says as she rubs her wrist. "I tracked down the bloody doppelgänger."

"Rose found her."

Lexi frowns as she glances behind Elijah. "Didn't someone tip you off, Rose-Marie?" The vampire goes pale as Lexi glares at her brother. "It is time for all of this to end. I want to be left alone. I do not want my responsibilities. I want to live my life free of bloody curses and stupid family drama."

Elijah narrows his eyes. "You cannot escape family drama."

"I can very well try. Especially while this human doppelgänger is around."

At the mention of humanity, Elijah looks over at the girl, inhaling sharply. "Impossible," he whispers. Then, the smile returns. "We have a long journey ahead of us. We should be going."

Elena whimpers as she looks at Rose. "Please don't let him take me."

"Elena, shut up," Lexi snaps. "or I'll tear your voice box out."

Elijah glances at her in surprise. "When did you grow cruel?"

"I take after Nik," Lexi replies. "Especially now."

With a shrug, Elijah brushes her off as he looks back at Trevor. "One last piece of business I think you'd enjoy, Alexis."

As Elijah approaches Trevor, the young vampire avoids his gaze. "I've waited so long for this day, Elijah. I'm truly, very sorry."

Elijah circles the poor man, running his hand across Trevor's back. "Oh, now, your apology is not necessary." He looks back at Lexi. "Perhaps you should apologize to Alexis. You betrayed her more than I."

Pushing Trevor forward, Elijah smirks as the man stumbles towards Lexi; however, her emotionless expression sends shivers down his spine. He grips Trevor's shoulders, forcing him to face the blonde.

"I am truly sorry, Lexi," he says as his eyes glance all around the room. "You all trusted me with Katerina, and I failed you."

Lexi nods. "You are the guilty one, and Rose aided you because she was loyal to you. Who were you loyal to, Trevor? Certainly not me."