26 | The Newest Beta

As the last bell of the day rings, Lexi does not wait to tell her students anything; she takes her stuff under her arm and rushes to the entrance of the building where Scott is already standing. "Damn it," she mutters when she sees Isaac being driven away in a police car. "We gotta bust him out now."

Scott nods, his eyes stuck on the innocent new beta being accused of murdering his father. "He's not in control," Scott says.

Before either can move, Derek's Camaro screeches to a halt in front of them. Without thinking, Lexi makes her way to the car and gets in. "You too, Scott," Derek says.

"Are you serious?" Scott exclaims. "You did that. That's your fault."

Derek purses his lips. "I know that. Now, get in the car and help me."

"No, I've got a better idea. I'm gonna call a lawyer. Because a lawyer might actually have a chance at getting him out before the moon goes up."

"I am a lawyer," Lexi says. "We're not getting him out. Not tonight. Not by legal means."

Scott shakes his head. "I'll get a second opinion."

"Scott, nothing's gonna get him out," Derek presses, his voice urgent. "Not when they do a real search of the house." Lexi tenses, clearing her throat. "Look, whatever Jackson said to the cops, what's in the house is worse. A lot worse."

"Get your ass in the car before I throw you in." Lexi steps out, pushing the seat down for Scott to climb in the back. With a sigh, he does as he is told.

On the car ride to Isaac's, Lexi asks, "What's in the house?"

Derek does not respond, even when they park before the looming structure with yellow tape covering the front door. Derek is the one to rip it off and let Lexi and Scott through—Scott holding a flashlight. "If Isaac didn't kill this father, who did?" Scott asks.

"I don't know yet," Derek replies.

Lexi trails her fingers against the wood, closing her eyes. She inhales sharply as unheard cries echo in her ears as if she could hear Isaac begging his father not to do it. Her eyes find the door to the basement.

"How do you know he's telling the truth?" Scott asks. Neither one notices Lexi moving towards the locked door.

Derek shrugs. "Because I trust my senses. And it's a combination of them, not just your sense of smell."

Scott pauses as his cheek redden. "You saw the lacrosse thing today."

"Yeah."

"Did it look bad?"

"Terrible," Lexi replies as she tugs on the door. It creaks open, revealing a dark staircase. She lets out a shaky breath as her heart races against her ribs; she descends without really noticing the other wolves behind her.

She finds the freezer; she can smell the traces of blood from inside of it. Struggling to breathe normally, she lets her fingers drag against the rusted open lock. It takes her a second before she notices Scott and Derek beside her, both staring at the freezer.

"I'll be outside," she says, her voice wavering enough for both to notice. She practically races from the basement, inhaling gratefully when she reaches the cool night air.

It only takes two rings for Rebekah to pick up the phone. "Hey, sister."

"Look, I don't mean to bother you," Lexi says quickly, trying to avoid Rebekah noticing how panicked she feels. "But, I was wondering if you heard anything?"

"Heard about what? Is everything ok?"

Lexi runs a hand down her face, letting it settle on her shoulder. She glances back at the dark house as she says, "You said that Stefan was asking questions about Mikael. Has he asked anything else? Has Damon? He would be the type to dig into things that don't concern him."