28 | Half-Truths

Getting out of her car, Lexi glances around the street. There is no one in her line of sight—only foggy lamps that shine an orange hue across the sidewalk. With a sigh and running a hand through her hair, Lexi descends into the abandoned train stations, her heels clicking loudly against the metal stairs.

She can hear five heartbeats below; she pauses. "Hello?" She calls out. "Anyone here that shouldn't be?"

She hears a soft gurgling noise from below. With a frown, she rushes down the rest of the steps, her eyes finding a paralyzed body before the train cars. Before Jackson stand Derek, Erica, and Isaac—none of them look too pleased.

"What the hell is going on here?" Lexi demands.

The wolves look up as she steps next to Jackson. She gently nudges his back, eliciting a yelp from the boy. "Why is Jackson lying on the floor?" She asks, quirking an eyebrow at the group.

"You disappeared for two days," Derek replies with a rough voice. "We were just testing him is all."

"Testing him with what?" Lexi looks down at him. "Are you paralyzed?"

Jackson's wide eyes meet hers. For a second, she feels guilty about it; then she remembers all the horrible things he threatened to do. "I told you to stay away from the supernatural, Jackson," she sighs as she moves towards Derek. "Maybe we should speak in private?"

His jaw clenches.

"Are you really mad at me for the ice rink?" Lexi asks. "Really? You were being an asshole."

"And you haven't answered your phone in two days."

Lexi sighs, taking her phone out of her back pocket. "It died. I don't have a charger with me, and I've been avoiding certain..." she glances back at him. "interactions."

She pushes past him, making her way to the makeshift room he had prepared for her. She takes the open duffle bag and places it on the mattress before she starts shoving her things inside. Derek leans against the threshold with a frown. "What are you doing?"

"Getting out of your hair," Lexi replies as she zips up the bag. "You don't have to deal with me anymore. I found a place to stay." He doesn't notice the shiver that runs through her spine.

"Where?" Derek asks. She tries to walk past him, but his body takes up the entire span of the door. He sniffs the air. "Something's different."

"New soap," Lexi says with a nod.

"It's men's soap."

"My friend is a guy." She tilts her head to the side. "He's willing to take me for a little bit. Gerard will know, but he won't do anything. Not if he wants to keep everything a secret."

"Who is he?" Derek crosses his arms over his chest.

Lexi copies his movements, taking a step closer to him. "None of your business. Now, can I go?"

"Did you know there's a new monster in Beacon Hills?" He asks as anger flares in his eyes. "It killed Isaac's father and a hunter."

Lexi blinks, her smugness disappearing. "What does it look like?"

"Scales. An overgrown lizard."

She nods. "Kanima."

"How did you figure that out with only that to go on?" Derek exclaims. "It took us a week!"

"Kanimas are tricky," Lexi replies. "Is that what you were doing with Jackson? Testing to see if he's the kanima?" Derek nods. "That won't work," she scoffs. "The kanima is the kanima, but not when it's human."