18 | Through the Woods

Scott and Stiles find themselves in a familiar dark Camaro with younger versions of themselves in front and their own Derek scrunched between them. What confuses them is the lack of a certain blonde vampire.

"You were driving my car?" Derek growls, looking between the two.

Stiles throws his hands up. "We were saving your ass!"

"Faster?" The younger Scott asks.

Stiles glances back through the window at the large SUV chasing them. "Faster," he replies.

The car jerks forward.

"Scott, I don't think you're grasping the concept of a car chase here," Stiles says, his voice wavering.

"If I go faster, I'll kill us."

"If you don't go faster, they're gonna kill us!"

The roar of a motorcycle echoes through the night. Unknown to the younger versions of the teens, the SUV backs away from the Camaro at the sound.

It takes them a moment to realize the open expanse of road stretching out behind them. "They're gone," Stiles says. Scott eases up on the bass pedal as Stiles turns on the walkie-talkie in his hand.

"All units: suspect on foot heading into the ironworks."

The boys exchange a look as a sleek motorcycle passes them. With a frown, Scott follows the vehicle until they reach the iron warehouse. Bullets ricochet off of the steel as hunters and police alike shoot at one of the barrels.

"Who is this person?" Scott asks when he sees the motorcycle stop. "They're gonna get themselves killed."

When the person lifts the helmet's visor up, both boys gawk as Lexi yells, "Derek! Now!"

Derek, who had been hiding behind a large steel sheet, races out from behind the material. He grabs the helmet in Lexi's hand and throws himself onto the bike.

Catching Chris Argent's eye and watching him run out of bullets, Lexi flicks her visor down and sends him a middle finger.

"Follow me," she yells through the noise, knowing Scott can hear her. She feels Derek's hands wrap around her torso as she speeds into the night with Scott and Stiles trailing behind her. Zipping through the streets, Lexi prays that Scott can keep up as she escapes the hunters on their tail.

Eventually, she goes off-road—something Derek tenses at the sight of. She stops by a familiar cut tree, her eyes roaming over the wood with a glint of pain. She takes her helmet off, turning to Derek. "We'll stop here," she says as the Camaro parks under the trees. "Just for a moment."

"You know," Derek coughs as he hands her the helmet. "Your bike is great and all, but your driving scares the crap out of me."

Nostalgia flickers in her eye. "Really?"

Scott and Stiles break through the forest. When Derek sees them, all hints of humor he had on his face disappear. Rage replaces it.

"What part of laying low don't you understand?" Scott shouts.

"I had him!" Derek growls. Lexi clears her throat, placing a hand on Derek's bicep; she smiles when she feels the muscles relax under her touch.

"Who, the Alpha?" Stiles asks with his innocent little head tilt.

"Obviously," Lexi replies.

Derek nods along with pursed lips. "He was right in front of me when the police showed up!"

Lexi removes her hand before he can feel her tense.

Stiles raises his hand. "Hey, they're just doing their jobs." Derek's returning glare makes the human shrink behind his best friend.