3 | The Plan

The elegant apartment surrounding her does nothing to calm Lexi's nerves. With a view of Washington D.C. before her, she bites down on her lip as she paces before the large window-doors leading to a balcony overlooking the city. She cannot hear the traffic below her, only Elijah's lack of life in the other room.

When he gasps awake, Lexi considers running. The door is right there. If she does not make it to the front door of the apartment, she can easily throw herself down to the street below and dash away from her lovely, ill-intentioned brother.

His voice stops her. "Alexis."

She stops her pacing and looks up. Blood stains his suit and his disheveled hair almost covers his eyes. "I hope you do not mind," she says. "I took you here for some peace and quiet. No one to bother you."

"What happened to the doppelgänger?" He asks.

With a roll of her eyes, anger spikes in her chest. "The Salvatores took her back to Mystic Falls, I suppose."

Elijah clenches his jaw. "And you did not follow them?"

"Excuse me, I want no part in this," Lexi snaps as she crosses her arms. "Your welcome for dragging your ass away from them, by the way." Elijah simply scoffs. "You know what, brother? It was nice to see you after all these years, but it appears as if I'm not wanted any more than five years ago. I'll bid you adieu."

Before she can leave, Elijah races in front of her. When she tries to step by him, he moves in front of her; she uses her vampire speed, but he matches her, effectively cutting off her path. She growls in annoyance as Elijah takes hold of her wrist. "Let me go."

"No, there is something we must discuss."

Lexi rips her arm away. "No, I'm done with this. I am done with whatever game you are playing. I am done with everything."

Elijah shakes his head. "It involves our family—"

"To hell with that!" Lexi exclaims, but pressure builds in her throat. "Where have they been, huh? In boxes, safe from Mikael's wrath, while I've been stuck out here—"

"Not safe from Niklaus."

Lexi pauses to breathe. She blinks in surprise before she meets Elijah's gaze. "What do you mean?" She can feel the panic rising in her gut. "He wouldn't do—"

Elijah sighs, his head hanging low. "I have been trying to find you since I heard."

"Heard what?"

His brown eyes, now tainted with grief and sorrow, stay locked on the ground. "He threw them out to sea. They're gone."

Lexi stumbles back in shock. "No, he wouldn't do that." Turning away from Elijah, Lexi practically runs out to the balcony, pressing her palms against the railing separating her from the city; she cannot breathe as she thinks of her siblings, each locked away in a box, each drowning at the bottom of a bottomless ocean. "This can't be happening."

"I did not believe it either," Elijah says as he walks behind her. "But then...I asked myself if he would do such a thing, and I could not say no."

"I-I cannot do this, Elijah." Lexi presses her lips together as tightly as she can. "I cannot lose them too. First, Vivian, then Talia, and now—I refuse to do this anymore."

"Then help me stop him."

Lexi turns.

Elijah's determination shows through his clenched jaw and narrowed eyes. He is almost begging at this point. "I cannot do this alone."

Placing her hands on her hips, Lexi scoffs. "Your true colors are finally showing. You once loved humanity as I do, but now? Now, all you care about is our family. Where was your determination when Mikael burned my friends to the ground? Where were you, Elijah?"