Chapter Thirty-Eight

After my fight with Eric, I slept. I was already exhausted from the past week, yesterday wasn't enough and my mind was so tired from everything that went on.

The next day, I started the day by checking to see if everything was going right. There were still some people who couldn't take the test from the factions yesterday and we were also expecting the Factionless. It seemed fine. No Factionless had shown up but it had only been two hours.

Then I met up with Marcus Eaton and Johanna Reyes. We talked about how the Choosing Ceremony would take place. Obviously, there was not a single place in Chicago that could contain everyone. And it wouldn't be fair to take everyone by groups.

In the end, we decided to build somewhat of a stage outside, just like the display of the new Aptitude Test. That way, everyone could get to be with their families and then leave with their new faction. Johanna said that she could oversee the whole thing and Marcus added that he would get in touch with Dauntless for her.

There was something going between them, I swear, but I didn't want to involve my nose where it didn't belong so I didn't work on it.

I was actually kind of relieved that I didn't have to talk to Eric or anyone from Dauntless. I didn't know what to say to him after our fight. I still didn't know what to choose and on top of everything else, I had a dream yesterday night about Eric and me.

I mentally groaned as I walked to where the tests were being taken. There were some Dauntless, scattered around the area to make sure everything was okay. Jack Kang was responsible for today.

"How's it going?" I asked him. "If you are referring to the test, no Factionless showed up yet, however, if you are interested in my being, which doesn't concern you I am fine, thank you," he replied. I gave him a look and he chuckled. "What? Can't take a joke?" he asked and I smiled. I forgot about how Candors could be even when I had two amazing examples in my life.

"Look, Angela, there are a lot of people in Factionless that would kill for a second chance, they'll show up, I'm sure," he said. I sighed. " I know, but I wish everyone in there could take this opportunity," I said. He nodded. "Yes, but that's not what's really bothering you, is it?"

I was shocked by his words. "What? How?" I gasped. He chuckled again. " Angela, we are trained to tell if or when somebody is lying or even not telling the truth," he explained. I furrowed my brows, "Is there a difference?"

He rolled his eyes. "Of course there is! Just like know, you are not telling the truth about what's really bothering you, just a smaller problem you have. Does this mean you are lying?" he calmly expressed. I nodded. "Wow," I said, "You're good," which made him laugh again.

" We're the law of this society, I, before anyone else in my faction, need to be able to tell if someone's lying at the spot," he said. To be honest, that was a hell of an incredible thing to do. "Anyway, enough about that, would you now like to tell me what's really bothering you?"

I sighed. I really needed to confide in someone, someone who wasn't involved with anyone that involved either my Erudite or Dauntless life. "Can you keep it a secret?" I asked. Jack gave me a look. "Kid, cmon, you know I won't lie," he started, "however, I doubt anyone will ask me about you," he said.

I nodded. "I don't know which faction to choose tomorrow, I've already gone through this, and I thought my decision was right throughout my initiation process. However, life after initiation wasn't exactly how I imagined it would be, and then the whole war thing happened. And, being back in Erudite, it reminded me how much I loved it here as well," I explained.

" I see, how about your results? If you don't mind sharing," he asked. "Dauntless is 95% percent and Erudite is 94%," I said. He nodded. " One percent, interesting, I can see how it didn't help you, to me, the only way you can solve this problem is that you've gotta know where you exactly belong, where you can be your truest self," he said. I couldn't help but roll my eyes.