Understanding

Would you guys believe me if I said that I wrote this chapter while hearing The Plagues from the Prince of Egypt on loop? Cuz I did.
Btw as you've probably noticed, I've sent my schedule to literal shit since I can't follow it.
Anyway, enjoy.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

If you walk through the penitentiary at night, you were usually met with the sound of rough snores or soft prison-break-out plans being muttered under someone's breath. Well, that was how each night often went, but unlike every other peaceful night, this one, in particular, was disrupted by the sudden realization of a mistake made by one of the inmates. "You just screwed the future, didn't you? Stupid!! Stupid! I should have kept my mouth shut!" Grasping her short hair in aspiration, the female paced impatiently from one side of the cell the other, ignoring the constant banging on the walls and floors of the cells surrounding her, and the yells of her fellow inmates that ordered her to shut up as none of it made it into her ears due to her worries growing exponentially as her most recent actions became more conscious. "Kid, please, for all that is most important to us, don't screw this up because of my big mouth..."
__________________________________________________________________________________

"So... uh..." Here starts my pathetic attempt at beginning a conversation, which, for the record, I am terrible at doing.

"Sorry."

"What?"

"..." It looked like he was battling with himself to finish. "For screaming yesterday."

"I... I... it's fine. I understand your reaction... you had- have every right... guess I just... just didn't- don't know how to react..."

"You had a good reason for reacting that way."

"I still shouldn't have. I shouldn't have shut you guys out. I-" I stopped, searching for the correct words, but Ed was quick to place a hand on my shoulder in reassurance.

"I get it." I looked at him for a moment. "I acted the same way..."

"What?"

Sighing and taking his hand away, he moved to look away from me. "When I was a kid, my dad used to visit me... sometimes. He never stayed longer than a day, if it even got to twenty-four hours."

"That's why you ran away..." I knew he had run away to be with his dad, but I never knew about their relationship before that. But I thought it wouldn't have been the best one, seeing as they didn't hit it off well.

"I wanted to be with my father..." He nodded. "I grew up without either my mom or my dad, and ended up having a bad reaction when he wouldn't visit." I wanted to say something, to say that I understood, but I found myself incapable of uttering a single word. "I acted as you have for the past week. I let my Abuelo get worried, and ended up running away because I couldn't take it anymore, but..." He trailed off, crossing his arms and forcefully grabbing his sleeves.

"But?" I don't know why I was trying to make him talk, but maybe he needed to talk... like me.

"He acted so differently when I was a kid... it didn't even seem like that was the same person."

"Does... does that change the way you see him?" He gave a curt, unsteady nod. "But he's still your dad, so you still love him." He nodded again. "Would you...after this is all over... go and uh... live with him? If given the opportunity?"

"I should say no, but yeah, if we could just fix everything then, yes, I would."

"Then I hope you guys fix everything." He shot me a somewhat hopeful look before nodding meekly.