11

Jack walks to the fridge as he grabs the large bottle of coke sitting on the first shelf.

He takes the bottle untwisting it and taking a large gulp straight from it.

Zach walks in trying to figure out what to say.

"Jack I- What are you doing?" Zach says as he watches the boy almost finish the whole gallon of soda.

Jack removes the bottle from his lips with a 'pop' as he closes it back up placing it back in the fridge.

He hoists himself up on the counter as he checks his phone.

He sees 5 missed called from his dad and 13 messages from him as well.

Jack opens his phone and reads them already knowing they aren't going to be the sweet kind.

'I need you to do a job tomorrow. Call me.'

'Where the fuck are you? You better call me.'

'I swear you piece of shit ANSWER ME!'

'This is why you're mother left us. Get you're ass home'

'Don't come back home without the money, or I swear you'll regret it.'

Jack read through each text as he could almost feel tears in his eyes.

Never show how hurt you are inside. That's how they really hurt you.

He blinked back the tears as best as he could as he turned to face Zach.

"You okay?" Zach says walking up to him slowly.

Jack nods with a fake smile.

"I like the nice side of you Herron," Jack says not looking the younger in the eyes.

"Same here Avery."

Jack looks up at him and for a second he felt something weird in his stomach.

It was nice but weird.

"Yeah whatever," He says hoping off the counter as he heads for the front door.

He turns the door knob and opens it. A loud noise going through the house.

"Fuck!" Zach says as he rushes to the key pad and types in the code.

Jack looked so confused.

The alarm stopped as the two looked at one another as if waiting for something.

"Boys!" Myta yells from upstairs. She and Josh rush down the stairs.

"We're fine momma, Jack didn't know the alarm was on," Zach says giving her a awkward stare.

"Oh thank god," She says letting out a breath.

"Are you two going next door?" She asks as she checks the watch in her wrist seeing it's about time her friend was leaving for her party.

"Um...," Zach says turning towards Jack who gives Zach's mom a smile.

"Yup," Jack says finishing up the younger's sentence.

"Great! Okay, don't break anything okay angel? Be safe, even though I know the Lord is always watching over you," She says with a loving gaze.

Zach smiles back as he heads for the door and heads out. "Bye!" He says before shutting the door behind Jack.

"The Lord is watching over you," Jack mocks as he makes his way down the path of the boy's house.

Zach gasps as he catches up with him. "Don't use God as a joke dummy," Zach says hitting him in his shoulder.