On Our Way

Blank woke up early in the morning. The first thing he did was start training. He didn't know how to use his semblance, so he would have to catch up by using just his pure strength. It would be difficult trying to keep up using only pure muscle.

He spent the entire day training, keeping out of Oscar's way when the boy entered the training area. He needed the training more than anyone, so Blank wouldn't get in the way. Ruby came into the training area to alert the pair that dinner was almost done and stated that Oscar was getting better.

"How do you do it?! People have tried to kill you! You are being hunted! How do you go around still smiling?!"

Oscar's outburst caused Ruby's normal smile to falter. When she spoke, her face held a frown. It looked unnatural.

"At Beacon, I lost one of my friends and my brother. I didn't know my friend Penny for very long, but she was very close to me. My brother, however, hurt worse. He fought a battle he couldn't win. He always had a plan to accompany everything he did, but he not here anymore. The person that looks like Chris isn't him. Chris was killed because he was fighting a battle that, if he couldn't win, nobody could win. He is very strong-willed.

"Penny was killed to make a statement, but Chris was killed because he tried to fight. I will make sure those who killed him get paid back, but, in the meantime, I am scared. I'm not just scared for me, but I am scared for everyone else. A wise man once said, 'The strongest people smile in the face of danger.' and I believe it was true. Chris always smiled when we were in danger."

There was a memory flashing through Blank's mind. It was of someone, presumably himself, talking to an older version of Ruby. Then the words came out of his mouth before he knew he said them.

"The people with the strongest wills can smile through anything. They have experienced greater pain and suffering than anyone else, but they don't want it to show."

The pair in the training area looked to him, confused.

"What I am trying to say is simple. If you show fear to your teammates, comrades, etc, or your enemy, you are showing them that you don't believe you can win your fight. Show them a smile. Show them a sign of confidence. Show them that you can win."

Qrow had left during the morning, so the house didn't smell like liquor...yet. When Qrow returned, the food was almost ready. The group was expecting quite a few Huntsmen to show up, but none were appearing. The only appearances made were that of Yang and Weiss. The pair saw "Chris" and went over to hug him. Instinctively, the male tried to fight them off.

"Who are you? What do you want?"

The tone was accusatory. It wasn't a tone that the girls were familiar with, but they turned to the rest of the group for an explanation.

After they had been told everything that everyone knew, they sighed in defeat.

"Is this more or less than what your mother told you?"

Ozpin was looking at Yang for confirmation, but Weiss answered for her.

"Yes."

"You left out one key part! What you did to them."

"Oh. I didn't think she would part that secret so easily. She must trust you a great deal."

Yang scoffed at the former headmaster of Beacon.

"I gave Qrow and Raven the ability to turn into birds. Sounds rather silly saying it aloud, doesn't it?"

The group went back and forth on the morals of what Ozpin did. He explained that he was the person to give the Maidens their powers. Blank didn't want to be apart of the conversation anymore, so he went to train.