Part 17 - Stalker

"Oh boy..."

You shifted in your spot on the bench. I thought Midoriya was the nosy one...

"Is it true, then?" he asked.

Todoroki sat perfectly still, like a statue. You knew he would wait there forever until you responded. The era of The Butcher was years ago - you were only a couple of years old when Midnight adopted you. But people still remembered. Butcher and Hellia were captured, but the story you were told was that your "parents" died. Now, you had some concerns about that.

If only your dad had been one of those street thugs and not someone famous...

"It is," you said. No point in lying.

"How long have you known?"

"Honestly, only a couple of days before you."

Todoroki's eyes widened, "You had no idea this whole time?"

"Nope. I think my- Midnight and the other teachers thought it best to wait before dropping the bomb. I tried to be upset with them, but honestly, I wish I'd never found out."

He nodded, seeming to understand, "When I saw you fighting the Nomu, I thought the villains had done something to you. But then the Nomu was slowly dying just from your touch. I know I haven't seen you in battle all that much, but is that normal?"

"Definitely not," you shook your head, "I would never do that to a person... I don't know, maybe I would. I like to think I have more control than that. I was just scared for Aizawa and didn't know what else to do."

"I don't blame you," he said, "I could've killed several villains that day, but as a hero..."

"I know. I'm the one with villain blood in me."

Todoroki grimaced, "I'm sorry, that's not what I was trying to get at. You didn't actually kill it, by the way... If you hadn't done what you did, I think All Might would've had a rougher time. Whoever these villains are, they're desperate for his blood."

"All Might? A rough time?" You questioned.

"Yes. That Nomu was specifically made to be his worst nightmare. I'm not even sure there was anything human left about it."

You shivered. Who were those villains? Where did they come from?

"Hey," Todoroki set his hand on your shoulder. It felt like a bag of frozen peas. You hadn't noticed your glum expression was weighing your entire body down, "I don't think you're a villain. Not even close."

You peered up at his to see if he was lying, but he looked like the same, cold Todoroki. He didn't seem like the joking type, either.

You smiled, "Thanks. I don't think you're anything like your father either."

He was mesmerized by the look you gave him, but he quickly turned away and focused on his food again, "You may not be a villain, but you're still my rival. I will beat you at the festival."

"Oh... fun?" you laughed awkwardly.

***

You text Midoriya after lunch, hoping he still wanted to meet up later. He said yes, but after he had a chat with All Might. That left you with maybe fifteen or so minutes after school to just hang out.

You sat on the steps of an empty staircase and replied to the many texts you received over the last few days. Bakugo left you a wordy reminder about practice tomorrow, and the girls invited you to a sleepover study party this weekend. It all sounded nice. Nice and normal - exactly what you needed right now.