Part 7 - Making Friends

You were all grins when class was over.

It felt good to be recognized. You always held back with your quirk and it made you feel like something was missing in your life. This was the first time in a long time you were proud of your efforts; sloppy as they were.

After class, Aizawa pulled you aside to (sort of) congratulate you. He ended the conversation by offering to give you some lessons on the weekends. The idea of extra work made your sore muscles scream again, but you knew it would be worth it.

"See you - at 4:30 am," he added, just as you were leaving. You cringed but didn't let him see.

So early!

As soon as you were free, you were met with a cluster of your classmates. All of them were giving you strange looks. The wall of judgment made you stop dead in your tracks. "H-hey, guys?" you waved awkwardly.

"There you are."

Bakugo was first to come at you. He looked angry, as per usual, but his tone wasn't quite as harsh. "Want to explain how you miraculously improved?"

"Um. Practice?" You shrugged. Everyone seemed to feel the same, but they weren't upset like Bakugo.

"Huh? Secret training or something?" his frustration increased.

You didn't notice them come up next to you, but someone grabbed hold of your hand and pulled you to their side, "Hey, that's my lady you're talking to!"

Everyone turned a shade of green, including yourself. Mineta cradled your hand like it was a precious gem. You snatched it back and tried to hide your embarrassment, "Not your lady, Mineta."

"That's not what your lips said earlie-"

You quickly covered his mouth. This was what you were afraid of. "Cut it out!" you pleaded.

Bakugo's eyes narrowed, "I'm not stupid enough to believe that you actually like this grape-nut. But you are hiding something - SO WHAT IS IT?"

"Y-You all really want to know?" You addressed the rest of your class.

"Of course!" Uraraka exclaimed, "I mean, we understand if you have your reasons... but we're your friends! We all learn from each other and push each other to be our best."

"Your quirk shouldn't be something you're ashamed of," Iida agreed, "Especially if your heart's truest desire is to be a hero and to help others. Otherwise, why be at UA?"

You noticed the boy with red and white hair, who stood by Iida, let his eyes drop to the floor. The way he reacted to your power was a little hostile, not quite like Bakugo, but in his own silent and cold way.

"Alright," you gulped, "I can take a person's vitality and use it as power. It doesn't last forever, which makes it difficult."

At this, everyone erupted into chatter;

"How do you do it?"

"You get super strong, right?"

"Can you take their quirks too?"

You rocked on your heels, "I can get stronger, and faster - I've noticed different effects but I think it depends on the person I take from. To be honest, I haven't practiced enough to know..."

They waited for you to continue, knowing you avoided one question in particular. Then, Mineta's jaw hit the floor, "Wait! You have to kiss people, don't you?"

The silence was deafening. You couldn't defend yourself from this one.

"Uh... well... yes," you whimpered, "There might be other ways. T-This has just been the easiest way..."