S2 Part 13 - Nighteye

"Darling! You came to visit little ol' me?"

You grinned, "They finally let me... how are you?"

It was a nice change to be in the hospital without severe injuries of your own, but seeing Monarch like this - you'd swap places in a heartbeat. How can he still smile like that?

His wings had their own pillows on either side of his body. It looked like recovery girl already did her magic as they looked less like crumpled paper. The burn scars on his body were less prominent, but not gone.

Somehow - SOMEHOW - he looked cooler than before?!

The scar along his cheek and neck looked more like an accessory. Of course, you laughed to yourself, he always had to look fantastic in his way.

Like a metro bad-ass.

"I think my wings have the worst of it," Monarch sighed, "I should've been more careful. These things are strong but not invincible."

"Monarch..." you couldn't tear your eyes away from the top of his head.

"What is it? Oh... my hair."

"Your hair," you whined.

"Well, don't fret over that!" He chucked, "Hair grows back, and I've been meaning to try some shorter hairstyles - now I have every excuse to."

His impossibly long black hair was now lobbed off at his neck. Though, he had it tied back, you could tell by the loose strands that fell by his face just how short it was now.

"Come," he pat the side of his bed, "There's more we should discuss. I'm afraid there's more."

"Don't tell me you're actually dying," you frowned as you took a seat.

"No, but... I am going to be in some trouble. Legally speaking."

"How? Not because of this! Right?"

"No. I'm almost certain what happened was an accident. Almost."

You gripped the edge of the bed, "How? You really don't think it was someone coming after us?"

He shrugged, "There is no proof it was caused by anyone's quirk. No one saw anything. As terrible as it is, it would relax me greatly knowing no one deliberately caused this."

"Then, what are you worried about?"

"Well. Your dear godfather has been in correspondence with men of particular interest to certain hero organizations."

"... What kind of men?"

"The not great kind."

"Monarch," you pursed your lips.

"Just the Yakuza."

Your jaw dropped, "What the hell... I- I mean, I'm not totally surprised, I guess. But the Yakuza? Seriously? I actually didn't know they were super relevant anymore..."

"They haven't been really, not since the dawn of heroes, but one of them has been particularly active and I've been... 'playing with fire,' so to speak. Too soon?"

"What does that mean?" You asked, not humored by his joke.

"When the police investigated my facility after the fire they found some things that might make me look bad..."

"Monarch what does that mean - are you going to jail?"

"Oh, I don't know. That'll be up to the judge and Sir Nighteye's opinion."

"Why were you talking with the Yakuza? What did you have to gain from that?"

"There's a lot to say, dear," Monarch winced, "However, we'll have to save that for another time."