S2 Part 11 - Like A Fly In Amber

"Are you sure you don't need anything, Miss?"

"I'm fine," you muttered.

"If you experience difficulty breathing-"

"I said I'm fine! You should be looking for the bastard who did this and quit fussing over me."

You shut the motel door behind you, leaving your new bodyguard to do his job.

This was your temporary home now, thanks to some prick setting fire to Monarch's greenhouse. It was far from school, and anywhere you would normally appear; Midnight hoped this would keep you safe from reporters for the moment.

It all felt like a long, bad dream...

***
Panic controlled every frantic move as you forced yourself through the burning foliage. The smoke increased as the emergency sprinklers worked tirelessly to put out the flames.

You could hear Monarch's associates scrambling about the building but it was impossible to see. Every breath weighed on your lungs and you swore you coughed up ash. The small butterflies fleeing from their homes got caught in the heat, burning and dying like tiny pieces of paper.

"Monarch!" your body trembled. Maybe he wasn't even back yet? He could still be working elsewhere. He only came home to drop off food - right?

You heard crashing of glass next, followed by authoritative voices. It sounded like help arrived sooner than you had even hoped. You attempted to make your way towards the commotion, but it was a maze. It was unclear which path of smoke lead to a flaming death or rescue.

Not enough oxygen was getting into your lungs. Your chest burned from the heat but also begging to be fed clean air.

So, you made a mad dash towards the safest looking path, but you kicked something hard and almost tripped over the body of one of the polka-dotted crew members.

"Hey!" you bent down, "Are you okay?"

No response. He was out - hopefully not dead. You didn't have super strength but you lifted the man over your shoulder. Thank goodness he was a skinny fellow. With the added weight and oxygen becoming slimmer, you weren't going to get very far.

If pros or firemen, whoever had come in earlier, broke their way through. That might be your best bet as well. You could still see the nearest wall that could easily be broken with one of the decorative garden stones.

Just before you got to your destination, your leg gave out.

"AH!" you felt the jolting pain traveling up your shin. You hadn't even had a day to rest from your training earlier. Whatever was wrong with your leg had intensified. You had to set the man down and hobble the rest of the way towards the glass wall.

You could see lights outside from sirens, but that was about it. The smoke was causing your eyes to water. How much more of this could you handle before you passed out?

You lifted one of the rocks from a garden patch, even though it felt like fresh lava, and hurled it at the glass.

Endeavor was the one to actually spot you crawling through the opening first. He, along with a few cops, retrieved you and the man you rescued. It took no effort for Endeavor, with his massive body, to carry you both to an ambulance.