Chapter 5

Chapter 5

Intruders

Austin

I woke up from the sound of the door slammed shut like someone had just arrived. I rubbed my eyes and glanced towards the high window where the edge of the long elegant curtain cascaded to the carpet. The sun is still asleep and waiting to rise from the horizon while the chimes of the bell is ringing from the distance.

Agad kong inayos ang pagkakaupo ko sa victorian couch at napalingon kay Nick na dumiretsong humiga sa kama niya, nakatingala siya sa kisame, magulo pa ang kanyang buhok at ang suot niyang damit, at hinahaplos ang noo niya habang nakangiti ito. Halatang kinikilig ang gago. 

It only means one thing.

"You went to see Philia again, didn't you?"

"What the fuck?" Nick cursed from the sight of me. Agad siyang napatayo at sinalubong ako ng masamang tingin kahit mukhang inaantok pa ito.

"I've been waiting for you to come back." Sumandal ako sa couch at napahikab. I've barely slept waiting for my little brother.

"Bakit ka nandito sa kwarto ko?! Umalis ka!" Sabay tinuro niya ang pintuan.

"I was worried about you! Paano kung may masamang mangyari sa'yo habang nasa labas ka?"

"So, what? I'm not your responsibility! I can handle things myself!" Nick scowled. He had really changed from a tiny little man into this strong and smart guy who is willing to go through lengths for his love.

"Binisita mo ba si Philia?" Tinitigan ko siya nang mabuti. He pursed his lips and shook his head.

"Back off, Austin." Nick warned.

"I know you love her and she seems a nice girl but you'll put her in danger if you keep seeing her like this."

"Stop treating me like I'm still a child! I can take care of myself!"

"Alam ko binata ka na. Alam ko na you're free to do whatever you want like a man does, but do you really think it's worth the risk to put you and Philia's life in danger?"

Nick fell silent, he clenched his jaw and fists like he's trying to say something but he's holding himself back.

"I want to be with her. Is that too much to ask in my life?"

Napaupo siya sa dulo ng kama, leaning his elbow against his thighs, staring at me with his brooding eyes. Umiling-iling siya at yumuko na tila nadismaya siya sa akin.

I let out a deep sigh. I don't want to see him torn apart between choosing the reality of our life and the love of his life. Hindi namin matatakasan ang responsibilidad namin at mas lalo na ang sinisigaw ng puso namin.

Alam ko hindi ito madali para sa kanya pero kailangan kong pangunahin ang kaligtasan ng mga kapatid ko.

"Kakausapin ko si Counselor Socrates. I'll let him know you already have your candidate for marriage." Tumayo ako at lumapit sa kanya. I ruffled his already messed up hair. "Basta ang pakiusap ko lang, stay safe with us. We have to keep each other safe."

"You will? I mean, that old fart doesn't know about Philia. What if he doesn't approves? He wants a royalty to be our bride."

"Wala naman magagawa ang Counselor sa atin kung kanino tayo papayag magpakasal."

Huminga siya nang malalim at umiwas siya ng tingin, a sign from Nick that he will think about it.

"Ever since that day, you've become overprotective of us." Tumingala siya sa akin while pursing his lips.