{ Chapter 42 }

Clary's POV

I bounded down the town street, not even having to consciously dodge the horribly aimed gun shots directed at me. These humans didn't know how to kill us, they didn't know how to be in a war like this. I felt Lucas hot on my trail as we leapt atop cars and turned various corners, trying to hunt down the Purum pack members that were here.

Issac had separated from us moments ago, his wolf's expression distant and unreadable, to go meet up with the reinforcements he called for. My stomach throbbed with worry and my heart raced from being far from him; none of this was easy.

A loud crash sounded to my left and I quickly skidded to a halt, looking down the street near me. It lead to the small plaza in front of the City Hall and I instantly raced down it, my fur stiff with dried blood and eyes sharp with determination. The horrible feeling that had been in the air only got worse as Lucas and I moved forward.

"Holy shit..." Lucas murmured into my mind as we turned the corner. I growled deeply and made sure we stayed hidden behind the building as we looked on. I felt the fur on my back of my neck rise, the scene in front of us was overwhelming.

Humans were running and yelling, blood soaking their clothes and hair. White wolves rampaged through them all, tearing apart homes and crawling up the marble steps of the City Hall. My eyes instantly identified Paul, one of my fathers men who had came down here with Lira and I several weeks ago and told me about the disgusting treaty between our pack and the human settlement. I hated his guts and my Wolf instantly growled at the sight of him nearby.

The City Hall's windows were shattered, orange flames blazing out of them fiercely. Black smoke was rising out of them, mingling with the foggy air and floating up to the storm clouds above. My chest was tight with sadness but sore from the angry, rapid beating of my heart. This was all so wrong and I knew the Purum pack had no motive here but to kill and destroy. Murder and destruction just because they could; it was appalling.

"We can't take all of them." Lucas' voice entered my head and I could hear the evident fear in his tone. We hugged the side of a building, just our heads peaking out at the chaos ahead.

"Issac where are you?" I pleaded into my Mate's mind. This had to be stopped but I knew running out their with just Lucas would be unwise; there had to be about ten or twelve purebloods.

"Almost there, are you hurt?" He instantly replied, his voice calming me only slightly.

"We're fine, just hurry to the City Hall." I responded and huffed out a shaky breath. I turned and locked eyes with Lucas's hazel ones, he was strong but a little on the small side; he couldn't win against a pureblood. Annoyance was racing through my veins and I wanted nothing more than to bolt out there and stop the massacre that was happening. I couldn't just stand by and wait for Issac, people were dying. Innocent people.

"Stay here and wait for him, I'm going." I quickly said to Lucas, praying he would be smart and stay hidden. His Wolf looked shocked he lunged to stop me but I was already turned and running; leaving his bewildered, tan wolf behind.

It felt unnatural to be running on concrete and my stomach turned with nausea at the warm wetness of blood on my paws. My vision narrowed in on Paul, his huge wolf standing atop the marble steps of City Hall; his white fur dirtied with black smoke and blood. I growled deeply when our eyes connected, channeling all my strength into getting to him.

The wind was knocked out of me when a heavy force rammed into my side and I felt sharp pains prick all over as my ribs cracked. My body went flying with my attacker and collided with the ground, every bone in my body jolting with the pain of the fall. Anger consumed my senses and I swatted with my good arm at whoever had tackled me. It was one of Paul's friends, his wolf wolf also bloody and rough-looking.