{ Chapter 30 }

Clary's POV

"I'm trusting you." I said into my brothers mind with all the strength I could. My Wolf was insane for doing this, but if I really thought about it; this plan was the best we had. "Please don't let me down."

"I'm on your side, Clary." Zak responded, his wolf placing a paw over mine. I loved my brother so dearly and had missed him so much. He was only two years older, Issac's age. I knew I was making the right decision by seeking his help and was sure he would follow through on his part.

"All that's left is to convince Issac." I said after a pause in our conversation.

Zak looked out into the distance, towards my pack below. "How is it living there?" He asked quietly. He was so kind-hearted and out of everyone, he deserved a better life.

"I love it." I said. "They're nothing like we thought, Zak. Un-purebloods aren't weak and cowardly. They're some of the bravest wolves I've met."

Memories of when I first arrived came flooding in and I remembered being so shocked. I grew up to think the Purum pack wolves were bigger and faster. But as I studied Issac an some of his men, I found out I was far from right. My entire past life had been built upon lies, and I didn't want my brother to continue living like I had. I didn't want anyone to.

"That's why they'll win." Zak spoke into my head, his voice low and if I listened close enough it held traces of my fathers authoritative tone. "Because we've been waiting for the chance, Clary. Waiting for the right wolves to come along and stand up against father. And it's been you along. You're the one who's going to help us win."

"So there are others from home that'll help?" I asked tentatively. I didn't trust my old pack but thinking back to people like Lira, who held the same thoughts I did about purebloods, I grew confident Zak wasn't the only one on my side.

Zak nodded in reply. I looked down at our paws, his over mine. My heart was beating with gratitude for Zak, and certainty that this war was ours to win. I looked up at him once more, his head still turned towards the distance, and froze. Shock twisted through my veins as I looked over my brother's shoulder, completely frozen.

Down below, right on the border, was Issac. His gray and brown wolf was like a shadowy statue in the setting sun's light. His darkened eyes were staring directly at me, swirling with rage and betrayal; a look I had seen too many times.

Jumping away from Zak I ran to the edge of the ledge and attempted to reach out to him with my mind. "Issac, it's my brother! He's helping is and we can trust-"

"Clary, come down." He responded slowly, his voice scarily calm. My mother always said people were the worst when they were 'scary calm'. They're unpredictable and terrifying to approach. I could pick up on the clear anger in his tone and scolded My Wolf for getting us into this situation.

Without replying I swiftly hopped to the lower ledges beneath me, eventually making my way to the ground. I stood tall when I reached Issac, knowing I had done nothing wrong; even if it had looked like it.

"Cross back over." He said lowly. His eyes flickered to my feet, which were still on the slate gray ground of the Purum pack territory like his.

"Not until you let me and Zak explain." I replied. Issac narrowed his eyes in disbelief. He was standing completely still, his dark fur blowing around him as the wind whipped around us.

"Let you explain what exactly?" He growled into my head, his voice echoing off the walls of my mind. "That everything has been a lie again and you were never on my side?" His eyes were black now and sadness filled my every sense. He had thought I betrayed him again, which was the complete opposite of what I was doing.