{ Chapter 28 }

Issac's POV

I gazed forward, my eyes focus on one girl; my girl, currently surrounded by my speechless pack.

She had looked so broken when she laid the growing pool of blood on the forest floor, but now she was standing and a expression so fierce on her features; it made me want to bow my head in respect.

Half of her stark white coat was tinted and dripping with crimson but she looked beautiful. In that dangerous sort of way that warriors are, and that's just what Clary was. A warrior.

"We need to get them down." Clary spoke into my mind, her eyes staying on mine because I knew she couldn't bear to look upwards again.

I nodded. "Everyone clear out! No need to stand around, go home and stay as far away from the borders as possible." I said into my pack's mind link sternly.

Heads nodded and wolves and people began bounding away into the trees. The air was so cold but the blood underneath me was still warm.

"You five." I nodded towards a group of my men that had been recently training near the opposite side of our territory and just joined the crowd. "Help retrieve Opal and Jack and bring the bodies to the Yard."

"The Yard?" Clary personally linked with me, her head cocking to the side in confusion.

"It's where we bury our dead, it's about a mile from the pack house in the densest part of the forests." I answered.

I was pretty familiar with the Yard, having visited my mother serval times there alone, Tobias never joined me. Clary's eyes held sympathy, but I just walked up to her and nudged her shoulder, indicating that we should head back. There was nothing left to be done and I had been hit with a wave of exhaustion.

"Take me to the Yard." Clary's voice enters my head once more. Her blue eyes pleaded with me but I was flooded with hesitancy and her words. I had never taken anyone with me when I went, I had never wanted to.

"Issac?" She tried to snap me out of my nervous trance. I looked up and saw her face close to mine, blue eyes boring into green.

I nodded and leaned my forehead against hers for a few seconds. "Alright." I curtly said, I needed to get over myself it was only a grave. But it was my mother's grave and I had hardly ever talked to Clary about her, I wondered if she even knew what cause her untimely death.

"Let's go." I felt Clary move away from me and I got a chance to look around.

My men were climbing the huge trees, while others stayed on the ground waiting. My heart dropped once more as I caught a glimpse of Opal and Jack in the branches.

Sighing loudly, I pushed off my back legs and bounded into the forest, Clary right beside me within seconds. I looked at her out of the corner of my eyes. She was messy with blood and probably looked quite frightening to anyone we passed on our race through the forest.

Faster than I thought possible, we had passed the pack house; our paws ripping up the gravel on the driveway as we bounded through. We were drawing closer to the Yard and I was going numb, I don't even remember the last time I had came here.

"Is that it?" Clary's soothing voice flooded my head and I refocused on what was up ahead.

"It is." I slowed and watched as Clary copied me and glued herself to my side. The Yard had that kind of effect on people. It was like all the sunlight and beauty of the forest disappeared and you didn't feel like you belonged.

The branches seemed to bow in sorrow from all the dead bodies in the ground near their roots. Makeshift grave markers ranging from large stones to small wooden crosses littered the barren, dead-grass ground.