Overused Illnesses

Okay, I just want to rant here briefly about something I've come across that annoys me endlessly.

Judging by the title, you all know what I mean, right? Cancer. It's the most overused illness in books since TFIOS. Before that, of course, everyone knew what it was, but now everyone's just taking the piss out of it, or so it seems. I had a close relative pass away from it last year, so naturally I feel tense when someone makes a comment about it. However, in books they seem to be the only illness known to man. I was reading an amazing story a few weeks ago on Wattpad, but then of COURSE the romantic male protagonist had to develop cancer EVERYWHERE in his body. (He survived dramatically, though - I may or may not have cried happy tears)

I know that a lot of people have or had cancer, but see, before you go on to message me angrily about "freedom of speech", I just want to point out that it's the exact same thing with a lot of other illnesses. Okay, maybe not, considering that cancer can't really be cured, but if you want to write an original and popular story then you find another illness and write about that - I find those extremely interesting.

And also, RESEARCH. I'm not stopping anyone from writing a romantic tale of how opposites attract and whoop, one's dying and it was meant to be a secret (Sorry, that came out harsher than I meant), all I'm doing is letting you know. But, the thing that annoys me most is the fact that some people grab some facts from other books and write the story from that. No. Please. One story, right? It had this amazingly sexy American Football player running round the pitch, diving for the goal (sorry if this isn't right, I'm not American) in front of the ENTIRE state population, or so it seemed, with like three seconds to go with a tying score. Next thing you know, he's collapsed, screaming and writhing, the pitch is in chaos trying to get to him, (where the hell are the paramedics??) he's rushed to hospital and the doctor's out telling the parents and the girlfriend that he has been diagnosed with entire body cancer and he had one week to live. Not only that, he is allowed to SPEND THE LAST WEEK OF HIS LIFE with his girlfriend and his parents even book them a hotel in Washington for three days. Oh, oh, of course; he goes into a coma a day early and next day? He's out in a wheelchair, happy as Larry and completely healthy. Smh.

So, yeah. I just had to vent that. I feel a lot of rants coming up soon, so prepare yourself!

Also; sorry I haven't been updating! I've started a new school and everything is so different! Okay, maybe it's just Gossip Girl... STILL!