Chapter - 39: I'll be back.

Kaira's POV:

Slap.

My mother slapped me.

And I don't know the reason.

Slowly my hand went up to my burning cheek, unknowingly my eyes get moist as I look up to meet my mother's furious ones.

"Badi ma!" "Ananya...!" "Aunty?" Milkshake, Sidharth's parents and sister exclaimed in surprise.

"You are never home, Kaira, never with us. Either you are out with Abhi and Ritik, or out for some work or that's just an excuse. Or you will be in your room doing what not. Or in that badminton court of yours! What pleasure do you even find in there!?" She snapped. There was on drop silence as my mother continues her monologue.

"What? Why do you need those reasons!? Why won't you stay at home? Why won't you spent time with your in laws? Have I taught you to discard family like that?! It's hardly 3-4 times I've seen you mixing up with Rachel and her daughter. Do you even see Sidharth sometimes? Or are you always arguing and fighting with him to get his interest out of you?" Mom continued.

I don't even seem to have voice in my throat.

"And Abhi..! Why are you dragging that poor soul in your personal matters! Why are you getting yourself into his?! Why do you need to go to pick him up, doesn't he has his friends to do that for him!? Why do you need to be his assistant? Can he not find someone more skilled and experienced for his career? Why do you have to do everything that you can't handle? One family you can't act responsible towards and-"

"What is going on here!?" Sidharth's voice tears through my mother's like sword.

"Sidharth son, you don't have to save her-" My mother uses her sweet voice.

"Oh no, aunty, I do. What are you doing? What are you accusing her of now?" Sidharth's footsteps come closer towards us. When I dared to peek a glance at him, his eyes were emotionless as he looks at my mother.

"You know nothing of it son-"

"If it's about Kaira, I know it. It's you who doesn't know things about her own daughter, aunty." Sidharth interrupts "What do you know about Abhi and Kaira? What have you seen from last 10 years? What do you know about either of their careers? What do you know about her management skills? What do you know about her spending time with my family?"

Before my mother responds to it, his mother says "Sid, I've not taught you to speak with your elders like that!"

"Sorry mom, but you taught me to take my wife's side everytime and I'm not going to let anybody insult her like that, be it her mother." Sidharth looks above my mother head to meet eyes with his.

"You think you know her more than I do? Then why don't you ask her where was she last night, sure she wasn't in her room." My mother taunts.

"I don't need to." Sidharth crosses his arms across his chest "I know where she was."

"Sure, she must have told you why would she try to sneak in Abhi's home at night!" My mother just glares at me.

Wait, how does she knows I jumped over the wall to get in his driveway?

Everyone's eyes were on him, in question as well as surprise as he says "Actually, aunty, She was with me. She tried to sneak in my home last night."

Here goes nothing. All that trouble that I took last night was waste. Could he not avoid telling them that? What would they be thinking of me now?