Chapter 1: New beginnings

*The forest air was thick with moisture. The path's bund was of a sickly yellow, almost browning rock which easily came loose. Either side was parched with saturated flora, the tired moss forming small, appeasing-to-the-eye cloak versatile in color; it shifted between the characteristic washed-out green and one of a slightly grayish hue. Finally, the end of the forest was near.*

A pained expression took hold of Aurora's face.

"Don't worry dear. Soon, you'll be able to rest." It gave her a reassuring pat on the shoulder.

"I hope, alright." She flinched from the - very real - physical pain her feet have been enduring for, at least, an hour. Not that she was counting."I don't know how long I can go on."

"Just a bit more, I can almost see the entrance!" 

She nodded and forced herself to continue walking. 

"--There! Can you see it? Can you?! " An unbelievable energy washed through and, almost visibly manifested itself on the scroll's corporeal form. It squealed and swirled highly in the air. Even Mister Letter was glad that the walking was over.

Aurora paused and gazed up."Y-Yeah..." Right before her towered the prestigious Gedonelune Royal Magic Academy. The gate was massively impressive; It gave off a heavenly aura to the school. Inward, the al-mighty buildings had a vintage style incorporated yet, showed no signs of aging whatsoever. There was a lot of green spaces surrounding the perimeter. Astonishment hit her like a tidal wave; her eyes just still, not blinking."Christ..." It was a lot bigger than she had anticipated.

"What are you waiting for?" It asked in an eager tone. 

Just thinking about her school life there made the pauper's heart skip a beat with anticipation. Aurora tried to gulp down her anxiety and nervousness but, it was a hard swallow.

"C'mon dear. It awaits you." A soft voice echoed in her ear, meaning it had to be very close to just have sounded so firm and clear."I'm right beside you." Those simple words were enough to reinsure and fuel the girl's heart with encouragement.

Aurora let her hand touch the metal surface, it was not as cold as its material would suggest. She pushed the gates gently open; its hinges gave off an eerie almost piercing-to-the-ear sound. Before taking the first step inside, she allowed herself to look behind one more time. On the horizon, two sites meet the eye, just a few kilometers apart. By the coast, stood the seaport, where, even at the distance, it was possible to still see people to debark. In a more central spot, stood the train station, where one was already departing; the rails tore the ocean in half. There was a long way back home. The thought briefly crossed her mind but, promptly she brushed it off. There was no time to feel cold-feat. She has come all the way so, might as well see its end. "I'll become a great wizardess... just you watch! I'll make you proud-- mom, dad.."

"That's the spirit!" The acceptance letter cheered.

Aurora could only smile. This was going to turn out just fine. Of course, hard study came along with the wonders of attending at that prestigious academy. But, she knew it would because, above all, she believed in herself and, because she had that little, stubborn parchment in her back-corner, supporting her tirelessly.

"Now. Important things." It began. "As your journey starts here, mine ends."

"W-What?" Aurora glanced upward, her mouth pursed but slightly open and loose; she wore a puzzled expression."W-What you mean by that, Mister Letter? Are you leaving me? But why? I can't do this alone!! You know I can't! I need you!!"