Chapter 31: Be the flame, not the moth

Aurora returned to the dormitory as fast as she could; she had to climb up her balcony to escape the housemother's wrath for missing curfew once again.

Louise was already asleep when Aurora jumped inside her bed and covered herself with the winter sheets. She turned down the lights, but couldn't catch sleep for quite a while.

"Don't worry," Elina said, eyes closed and snuggled onto her fluffy handmade bed."Tomorrow you can tell the academy's headmaster all about what we saw tonight. Everything is going to be alright. Now go to sleep."

She gave her a slight nod, and turned around, "I hope you're right."  closing her eyes and forcing herself to sleep.

It was a lucid dream; half awake, half asleep.

She laid in bed, tucked warmly under the covers when a soft breeze carried out a faint familiar odor, but it was gone before she could identify it.

"Aurora..." A female voice spoke her name in a soft voice, hardly above a whisper. 

Aurora shifted her head to the side and frowned, her right eyebrow twitching, and a deep furrow ran across her forehead. She thought she heard someone.

"'The one that is born from the east'..."

There it was again, that feeling of being observed tingling her senses. Aurora tossed and turned in bed as she felt the slow change in the air around her; her body was so tensed-up that her shoulders ached greatly.

"Shh--- calm down, I'm not here to do you any harm..." Aurora felt something or, rather someone, knelt beside her, stroking the soft curly hair with a hand; her soft touch did more than erase the worry from her brow.

~ Mmm-Mmm-Mmm. Hm-hm-hm ~ 

It hummed a tune in which the young wizardess did not recognise. Soon enough, the enigmatic woman began to sing to the tune. She had a clear, angelic voice, the most lovely one Aurora had ever heard... that reminded herself of her own mother.

~ My beloved child, sleep amidst a gentle warmth 

Lit a candle, softly wrapped up in a cloth

Be quiet now, sheeps will solve everything

Sleep quietly, my beloved king

Close thine eyes, follow the north

Be pacient, my arms will rock you back and forth

In a bed of softness and silk, thy heart can rest assure

Nightmares wil turn into fireflies, you shall not be afraid anymore

Don't cry,

My little butterfly

Walls of loneliness, you will never fall

Mommy will protect thee on the nightfall~

It was a soothing lullaby, and like all lullabies, it was designed to put children to sleep. One to the soothing rhythm of a mother's heartbeat. She soon felt relaxed and drowsy again.

"I used to sing this melody to someone who's very dear to me even to this day..." Said the woman.

She groaned and stirred softly in response. Aurora had the sense of a memory at the edge while listening closely to those words. This memory carried her sadly and sweetly back to those painful yet cheerful moments of her once lost childhood.

"I can see your mother did as well." She stated, "She's your 'star above', Aurora."

Her lips held a faint smile, one of joy and fulfillment.

After a few moments of mutual silence, "Aurora, I need you to listen up carefully, I just have a few seconds..." She had directed the little she had to say to her only, "As of late, I have come to an understanding that the world will have its way with us despite what we might wish, or once believed. But, I'm here to help have the upper hand, in some way. Tough times will come and many hardships will come your way but, remember, the darkest hour has only sixty minutes." Sensing her reaction she added, "Sometimes you face difficulties not because you're doing something wrong but because you're doing something right. Hard times are often blessings in disguise."

The sleeping 'Aurora' breathed an esurient sigh as she tried to understand what the faint voice was telling her.

A soft hand took hers firmly, and the woman spoke in her soft, purring voice, "Stay strong now, and never give up." She somehow could feel a warm smile befall her, and that eased her tension."Whenever you can, do a thing that scares you the most in the morning so, that way, when you're faced eye-to-eye with darkness, it will feel like you're in the presence of a beautiful butterfly."  She paused to caress her cheek gently."Even the smallest person can make a difference."

She nodded her head, unwittingly knowing she was complying yo the woman's words - her nod was hesitant at first but, then it became resolute.

"Good. Now, there's something else I must ask of you." Then, the seemingly wise lady leaned in, her lips fluttering smoothly against her ear, "Be of guidance to my son." and, once again, her voice turned to a whisper, making Aurora squirm beneath the bedsheets, conflicted with her request."I fear that he might have lost himself to the pain and loneliness. He's so focused on finding who to blame that he completely lost sight of what really matters. Sadly, Darkness has crawled into his heart and started to create roots within. Every day I see less and less of him." She paused, watching her expectantly."Please, help my child, Aurora. Rescue his soul from the enemy's clutches. Free him and bring him to the light again."  

"I will..." Presently, pacing, the stranger found the girl muttering in her sleep.

"Thank you," And, gingerly she kissed her forehead."Then, let my love show you the way and give you the guidance you need." She withdrew then, touched her again. She rested her hand tenderly against her cheek. "Go to sleep, my dear." Aurora stirred from her trance at the voice, cuddling her face onto the pillow. A sudden warm gust of wind swept over the girl's hair and face, soothing her back to sleep. 

Quickly, the room fell silent again, allowing her to return to her peaceful slumber to only waking up in the morning, refreshed.

**