Chapter 63: The Moon's Protector

In front of her stood a magnificent magical creature covered in jet black fur. That was no magical creature she had ever seen in her life or even read in any of the academy books. It had great dark twisted horns and terrible, long ivory fangs. Her heart was ready to jump out of her mouth as she met those haunting, glowing amber eyes. Hearing its rough breathing alone was enough to send shivers through her spine.

She dared not scream nor she dared to stand up and go for the run. Aurora slowly held out her hand in the beast's direction, for the creature to sniff.

It roamed forward with authority and vigor. The sound of heavy paws padding on the hard soil, made a knot grow in her throat and a butterfly sensation sprout in her stomach. 

She was as nervous as a cat in a dog pound. The girl stiffened at the warmth of his whiff against her skin, resisting an urge to remove her hand. Her body remained tensed and frigid against the tree trunk. Sudden movements might trigger him. She thought to herself.

It glared back at her, lowering his head and a growl growing in the back of its throat.

"P-Please don't hurt me.." The words came out of her mouth and, her mind couldn't even begin to imagine what had brought such fiend to her presence. It was at times like those ones that she wished she had a bone with her.

Before she knew, it nuzzled its nose onto the palm of her hand. The animal seemed to be purring with delight at the touch of her skin with its fur; over time, he would snuggle closer to her, purring away. 

"Nice doggy..." She said, inanely.

"Don't be afraid!" Elina cried out and broke their interaction, allowing the human to involuntary let out a relieved sigh. The tiny sprite scratched the spot between its ear and the wolf-demon sat, enjoying the attention."He's a friend! See?"

"Where... did you find him?" She asked, not drifting her eyes off it. The wizardess supported herself with a hand on the tree and another on the ground in order to get back onto two feet again. Wincing, she rubbed her the nape of her neck, remembering the Minotaur's attack from earlier. "Sweet dragon..." she cursed her luck.

"In the dorms." She answered in a level voice.

Aurora took one good look at her and frowned fiercely. "Come again?" For a second, she thought she misheard her.

The pixie nodded, looking puzzled. "Yes, that's what I said. Did I say something wrong?"

She blinked and started to say something – then stopped and cleared her throat. "I don't think the dorm mother would allow such a... bulky familiar inside."

Elina shook and waved her tiny hands in the air frantically, it almost seemed to disappear mid-action."No-no-no. You misunderstood me completely." She said, and then continued. "This lovely fiend is no one's familiar. In the matter of fact, he is the one who has one."

Her face was blank; its lack of expression made her look like a porcelain dool. Her mind was confused as to what she had meant by that.

"-- I meet him a while back when I was roaming around the academy. He was staying in some sort of a prison, laying on a iron bed. The boy was in a really bad shape, swearing all over the place, short of breath and burning with fever, and just from watching, it realized he was in pain. So, I approached him --"

The girl shifted looks between her and the wolf on occasionly. She bit her bottom lip and hoped that she did not approach a sick demon-like wolf.

"-- He wasn't in his right state of mind to have a proper word with anyone, he was enduring so much at the time. I had a brief conversation with him while I tried to ease some of his symptoms. Supposedly it happens every full moon. Can you believe that? The poor guy... and the song that keeps playing in his head? Must be troublesome at some point --"