Chapter 54 (1/2): I'm not your enemy, I'm here to help

"What are you looking at?" Elina's head peeked over Aurora's shoulder in guileless curiosity. "A photo? What's so important about it?"

Aurora, who remained lost deep in thought for the past ten minutes staring at that photo of the strange tattoo, finally turned her head towards the little pixie and asked a question instead, "Do you know that feeling when you think have seen something but you can't quite place where?"

Elina replied with an ample shook; it seemed that Aurora's words were confusing to her.

"Oh," she said with an anxious sigh, "Then, I guess it can't be helped."

"Why don't you go and try searching for it in the morning?" Elina kindly suggested, "Perhaps you'll find some answers in the library."

"But I wouldn't know where to even start looking--" Her sentence was cut short the moment the lights suddenly went out; the girl jolted off her seat, stumbling back and almost tripping on the overturned chair. "Elina... Where are you? I can't see you. Elina?" She called relentlessly for her friend's name, however, it was a different voice who replied to her.

"Maybe I can be of some assistance ~" An eerie seemingly male voice came as if across a short distance and echoed in the room.

"W-Who's there?" She spun around, the action rocking her precarious balance, only to come face-to-face with a familiar face. Panic and fear instantly coursed through her veins, forcing her to take a step back in alarm."Y-You--!"

"Hello, deary~ How have you been?" He asked with a grin that allowed her to see his pointy canines. "Last time I saw you, it seemed you got yourself pretty acquainted with some of my friends from the other side."

She gasped at the quick reminder of the day she snuck out of the academy with Luca and met up with Lady Morgana, "Y-Y... You're that 'Shadow' guy..."

He chuckled, a sound that somehow managed to be threatening."That's what they call me, all right. And, what should I call you? Aurora, wasn't it? Or can I call you, Rory?"

They gazed at each other until she felt a chill creep up her neck.

She reluctantly backed up a few steps, "Wha... What do you want from me?" and gulped down, nearly choking on her own saliva.

"Don't be afraid, child. I'm here to merely help you." He assured her with a grimace.

"H-How?" Despite how she felt, she calmly folded her arms over her chest and observed him closely while still maintaining some distance between him and her.

He crouched down and picked up the photos that had fallen from the desk earlier due to the sudden motion, "You wanna know what's this all about, right?" Her heartbeat quickened as Shadow glanced up at her, moistering his bottom lip."Then, I'm your man. I have the answers to all your questions."

"You're talking nonsense--!" She inadvertently yelled, while simultaneously looking around the room in a vain attempt to forsee an escape route. "If you knew anything, you would have already said it."

He raised a hand, immediately shushing her. "Oh, Rory. I won't just give you those on a silver platter." and said.

For a moment, she said nothing - afraid to trust her voice.

Once more, he chuckled, "You know," and approached her with a languid walk that stirred her blood."Everything in this life has a price." He said hoarsely, catching two strands of hair from each side of her face and pulled those towards him; she tried not to flinch when he touched her so casually but, she couldn't help it. So, she quickly backpedaled, earning another sneer from him."Well, the question is: are willing to pay whatever the cost?" at last, he asked, pinning her against the wall and pressing his massive body against hers. He had his left forearm above her head supporting his body weight, and a hand encircling her neck, holding her still so, she couldn't escape his grip. He motioned her chin back 'till the point she was able to view him in a peripheral vision; her eyes were locked on him, studying his movements to find an opening to free herself from beneath his grasp. "So, what's your decision?"