Chapter 64: A Secret Chamber

The Tower of Sorrow.

There was something mysterious about the exterior that had fallen to ruins after years of people never coming to it. It was a sacred ground that people shouldn't meddle with. That was a sanctuary which no one should tread into... and yet, here we were.

Aurora slid down from Yukiya's torso and dropped on the ground, making almost no sound. She patted softly on his flank with her hand in appreciation for his sacrifice.

He turned his head back in her direction in acknowledgment, his mouth was vaguely open and his tongue was sticking out, his breathing rough and heavy from all the jogging.

Her smile was wry as she gazed up at his snout, and stated. "I'll be back soon."

For a moment the beast simply gazed into her eyes and then, gave an almost indistinct nod with his head as if he could understand what she was saying.

"And, before you say anything, you'll stay here." She addressed the pixie on her shoulder, who was joyously moving her head sideways while humming to a lovely, catchy melody.

"What?! No!" Elina jumped off and immediately dismissed the wizardess' order."I'm going with you, no matter what! Not leaving you alone again!"

"No! I need you to stay here in case of anything going sideways inside that wretched tower!" She clarified, an octave higher. Then, more calmly said, "Elina, listen. Who will call the headmaster or professor Schuyler if either I or Liz end up petrified? We're the only good guys here. I need you to stay put and run back with Yukiya to the academy the moment you hear a strange commotion."

Eventually, she would sigh and be resigned."Fine-- I'll stay." She slowed down the pace of her flight and safely landed on top of the creature's head. Once seated, the mythical girl turned her back on Aurora, pouting.

"Good girl," She softly patted her head with her index finger. "I'll send you a signal if I'm in need of any assistance."

After one last rub on the Yukiya's ear, she left both behind and strolled down the path which led to the entrance of the tower. Her footsteps on the dry grass resonated through the open space as she marched toward the most guarded fortress in all land. 

Finally making it to the door, it felt as though a soft breeze of air was pouring out from some crack, but there were none visible to the naked eye. She pulled her hair back in a scrunchie at the base of her neck and promptly took a deep breath, growing nervous once again. Her hand reached for the knob. Se hesitated for a moment but then, with a right wrist movement, she twisted it and opened the door. The cool air encompassed her body, giving her literal chills.

She stepped inside and entered. The door closed behind her with a loud thud, making her flinch in reaction.

The interior to the tower was rather simplistic; the walls were built in dark brownish bricks sort out by an area fixed in lumber, several columns were supporting the structure from each corner, a wooden floor that creaked with movement, and a couple of orbs scattered around lighting up the place. Right at the centre, stood a flight of stairs going up and down as well, suggesting there was an underground floor.

Aurora considered it for a moment; it was more likely for Liz to be downstairs and the dragon's statue to be upstairs. So, darting down the stairs, she ran to what she thought to be a basement. Her footsteps sounded loudly down the hallway and she continued calling her name frantically.

She stopped outside the door to an underground dungeon, her skin crawling at the scent of earth and iron all around her. The air was chilled, still, and damp, everything like she ever imagined it to be. Wherever she looked, the setting was dreary, a shadowy existence of what an actual castle would look like. On a closer examination, there was a line of prison blocks to the right of the room and several war-like objects hanging on the wall to the left side.