Chapter 37: Is there any Future left?

Once more, Aurora found herself again in an entirely different environment from the surroundings where she'd fall asleep just a few minutes ago. Everything that belonged to the dormitory room seemed to have disappeared; from their wardrobe to their storage chest, from their bed to their desks, and even the small bedstands. Louise and Elina were also nowhere to be found. Panicking, she was convinced she had lost it, only seconds later to understand it.

The forest hummed with life all around her; the trees surrounding her seemed to continuous and endlessly grow taller, thus obscuring the view beyond them. Everything was oddly quiet when then...

A strange sound. A flapping sort of echo, like bat's wings. She twirled around, back and forth, gazing up at several tree branches, searching for the source of that sound."Who's there?!" She listened but, heard only the reproduction of her words throughout the space.

Again, the sound repeated itself.

Fear clutched at her heart with cold fingers. She didn't know what exactly to expect from the shadows so, she reached out her hand to her thigh, "Crap" but, soon noticed that she didn't have her wand in place. Heck, she was even dressed in her nightgown.

At that moment, a sudden, strong gust of wind circled her; she grimaced and shivered as it softly blew her hair back and lifted her dress' skirt just above her knee. Surprisingly, it wasn't only the freezing cold that was brought to her, a hoarse whisper came along as well. She turned around to meet the voice holder's eyes, "Hugo!" and yelled out his name.

He landed about twenty feet up high from her on a free branch, bat-like wings neatly folded against his exceedingly large torso. His scales were a cobalt hue, with a tinge of marigold in the morning sun and chartreuse ridgelines. He had fearsome, crimson eyes and magnificent spikes which ran along the ridge of his head, down to his neck and back, trailing his long tail to the end in a lethal-looking spear."Hello, little one." He uttered and bowed his head in acknowledgment of her presence; still very well mannered and gentle despite his almighty, pretentious aura. 

She gave him her most fetching smile and took a step in his direction."Thank the First King you're here!" Relief and fear unleashed within her, and she felt that her body could finally relax.

"What seems to be the problem, child?" He asked.

"Everything!" She exclaimed in exasperation."I've been doing a lot of research but I seem to be stuck! There's so much I want to ask and--" Again, another sudden gush of wind swept over her; the earthbound wyvern had just landed a few meters in front of her. He trooped forward and thus, she stepped back reflexively."-- you seem the guy to give me those answers... Isn't that why you're here? To help me?"

He listened and observed in silence.

As he didn't respond, confirming or denying her question, she continued."There are so many questions, but no answers at all! I know that questions are always more important than the answers but--" She bit her lip and started fidgeting with the skirt of her dress."--I'm at lost here! Every single day, I see less rejoicing and more suffering befalling those in the academy... panic is slowly rising within a second as more petrified students are found... the professors are trying to have things under control but, not truly having it... the medical wing is completely full to its ceiling... and, everyone is running like dizzy cockroaches trying to find a way to reverse this--" She paused briefly to catch her breath and calm down her nerves."Not being able to do much about it, frustrates me. I want so badly to do something, you know? And, these answers seem to be delaying me. I don't know what else to do so, I'm reaching out to you, Hugo. Please help me."