Chapter 13 (2/3): Greenhouse

The night gradually fell. Small celestial bodies adorned the sky like snow-flakes falling highly and covering roads and side-walks on a winter's night. The full moon hung high, gracing the earth below with its a warm milky glow. 

The cold greenhouse was inwrought to the occasion. The long red velvet rug led to the large-scale glass stove, glitter was all scattered on the fabric for the sake of the festivity. Walking a few meters ahead, stood a tall arc adorned with white lilies and suspended lights, with chandeliers at each edge to serve as spotlights. By the right beside the main building bided what it seemed to be a danced floor; it was an open space compound by a pristine gazebo with pending glass-jars with candles on the ceiling and some white translucent curtains on the sides. Later, upon entering the house, it was obvious that the design had been well thought out: the cute indicative platelets, the round tables with pastry-goods and entries, the flower and fruit adornments, the inviting lights hanging on the trees, and the scented candles were beautifully adorning the place.

The group was unable to contain their amazement as they gazed upon the extravagant banquet and the spectacular reception.

"Wow, whoever set out the arrangements for this ceremony did an excellent job." Louise pointed out grimly."And, the entire campus is already here!"

"I see the boys but, Yukiya's missing..." Liz stated. "No news there. Tonight is a full moon." 

"What's so special about a full moon?" Louise asked, in a curious tone.

"Usually, he falls very ill by this time in the moon's cycle." She explained briefly.

"Uh-uh... So, the rumors about him being cursed are real?!"  Louise turned all of her attention to Liz and listened very carefully.

It wasn't something that Liz hadn't considered before but soon, a different thought followed and changed her reasoning."I wouldn't go that far... I would say something like a Magical Contract of some sort. Elias might know, he's his roommate after all."

"That's some heavy stuff..." Louise whistled, emphasizing the idea. "Well, that would explain a lot about him."

"Yea-- Uhhh~ Food!" Liz quickly got distracted."Look at that freshness cheesecake! And, all those small coconut-bear dumplings... so cute~ I want to eat them all!" Drool was slowly rolling down the corner of her lips.

"I don't think you should..." Amelia said in a barely audible voice. "The professors haven't given their speeches yet."

"But, they look sooo appealing!"  Liz's shoulders dropped in disappointment. "Can I take just a lil' bite?"

"Hey, girls~ whatcha doing?" A gingery young man in a black tuxedo wearing a reddish yellow, like a ripe orange-colored sash around his waist approached the three of them with a wide smile.

"Guy!" Liz called out and immediately grabbed Guy by the arm."I missed my 'eating buddy'!"

The realization made him want to laugh and cringe at the same time."It's that all I'm good for?" 

"Hey, where's your date?" Amelia asked the question with genuine interest.

"What date?" Guy wore a puzzled expression.

"Rose."  Her answer was flat and direct, and she expected his to be as well.

"Oh, you were talking about her. No, I didn't ask her." With a slight shrug, he said.

"What?!" Amelia grabbed him by the ear and 'pulled hard'.

"Ouch--ouch!" He whined right away."Amelia!"

"Don't 'Amelia-me'!" She snapped; very uncharacteristically of her. In daily life, she was usually a calm, chill person."Do you have any idea what you did? She was so excited after your conversation the other night? Why giving her false hope with all those questions if you didn't plan to ask her to the dance?!"

"Should I have?" He gave her his best smolder so he could escape unscathed from her stern lecture.

Amelia unfazed, twisted it a bit more to the side.

"Ouch-ouch! I got it, I got it!" He squealed, still trying to free himself of Amelia's grip.

"You should apologize when you see her." It was more of an order than a suggestion.

"Y-Yes, I promise! Scout word!" And, gestured accordingly."N-Now please, just let go of my ear, Amelia!" He pled with all his strength.

Aurora blocked the fuss happening around her and took in her surroundings.

The place was crowded with students, mainly in groups; genre mixed one. Aside from breaks between classes and day-offs, special events like those were also moments where the male and female students would be able to freely fraternize with each other. Most of the time, they were confined to their dorms, in-class learning, or studying alone in the Common Spaces by choice. So, it was a nice change to the sight. The most popular place that night was the fountain. A few couples were sitting there just being lovey-dovey towards each other, and the rest were scattered around the dome lively chitty-chatting.

Aurora walked away, leaving their friends behind entertained with their bickering, to better explore the space.

A few members of the staff hired, were roaming around holding silver trays and offering different non-alcoholic drinks to the guests.

"Virgin Pina Colada, Miss?" A quiet voice formally addressed to her."Or maybe I can offer you a Glow Water? A Watermelon Bellini? Lime Zinger?"

"No, thank you, sir." She kindly refused his offer.

He nodded in acknowledgment and then, walked away from her and to another guest. 

Soon, Aurora resumed her walk.

By the largest oak standing, passionately scribbling down on a pocket-sized book was Professor Merkulova. He was well dressed in a white ruffle-collar shirt with a crude green half-cap draped over his right shoulder, and fluid trousers. Little of the darkness that plagued him was visible in his handsome features and gaze. His eyes blinked and opened, exchanging focus between his writing and on a specific flower at the tree's roots. The girl couldn't help but giggle at the sight. Even on a celebration day, always with his nose stuffed in books!

On the opposite side, an unyielding voice emerged from the shadows. Professor Schuyler was sternly scolding four male students from seemingly breaking the school rules, and to top it off, on such an important day. His clothing bare little no change to his usual outfit. He was wearing an elegant black suit with a grey mantle over his black blazer underneath and perfectly tied hair in a ponytail. It was like they say: 'black is the new white'. The girl immediately felt sorry for them. They're going to find out how severe Professor Schuyler's punishments can be...

On the stage, were three teachers setting out the speaker system. But, they seemed to be having tremendous trouble for it to work properly. Professor Sullivan was laying down, with his head stuffed inside the podium and handling the cables the best he could; as it was more of physical task, he had priorly taken off his long-to-knee, slenderized nut-brown coat, being left with only his high-collar black nylon shirt and slim-fit trousers on. Professor Quinn was on the other end, testing the sound on the micro as his co-worker instructed to. To his luck, he was able to keep his equestrian jacket on. It was unbelievable the work they had already achieved despite the nagging from Miss Fletcher, the lady in a navy blue suit with an eager foot standing in front of the stage. The girl felt constricted by the ordeal. That'll take them a while...

Moving along, she encountered many other teachers but, unfortunately, not the one she was searching for. She sighed and absently wandered outside.

**