Chapter 14: An injury may prove a blessing

Late that evening, Aurora drifted between consciousness to unconsciousness several times, having her eyesight bleared most of the time and a sense of giddiness -  perhaps it was some nonsensical short-term side effect from that spell? Or maybe, it was due to the heavy analgesic medication she was on to. Thus, remaining under tight observation that night. From time to time, her eyes would stressfully spin and roll underneath her eyelids, and she would break out into cold sweat. She oftenly tossed and turn in bed with the brief flashbacks overwhelming her mind and in turn, keeping her from having a peaceful rest. Soon enough, things calmed down.

The sound made by drops of some sort of liquid escaping intermittently from a vessel, woke her up. She slowly raised her torso and looked around herself. If anything, she was exhausted and in a recovery room unlike any she'd ever seen before. It seemed like any other ordinary room whatsoever, tho large enough for one person only. Finally, a young man in a white doctor's coat and dressed in dark slacks came into view. Soon, it hit her. She was in the medical wing of the school and that, was the school's nurse, Mr. Noell, a kind elf from the Elium Kingdom. He had a nice smile and a pleasant demeanor about him, which made all the girls in school wooing all over him.

"Miss Coeur, you're awake." He was considerate enough to pull up the handset and place it back on the landline which was on the bedstand and thus, ending the call with no care whatsoever in what was its motive."I'm sorry about the phone," He said apologetically."It kept ringing all morning for some reason. I don't know why we still have these on patients' rooms. Doesn't make any sense, I have to talk to my supervisor about this."

"It's okay..."

"How are you feeling, miss?" He walked up to the front of the bed and retrieved Aurora's medical chart, making a quick review while on it."Are you experiencing any headaches? Dizziness Nausea?"

She didn't felt like talking but, he was addressing her quite friendly, she couldn't be rude and not answering him."Y-Yes-- my head hurts a bit..." There indeed was a thunderclap headache settling in. 

"I see," Then, he approached her side."In this kind of situation, having a headache is normal. You had a rough night, to say the least." Cautiously, he raised her head, flipping his pen-like pocket lantern in both directions to check the pupils' reaction to the light."An expected reaction. Good." Hereafter, scribbling down on the clipboard."Now, I'm going to check on your vitals. Is that okay?" He placed it on top of his work-table and stepped away from the room for a few minutes to grab the blood presser machine.

Within a few minutes...

"Everything's normal. It seems you're a lucky gal," He said, gently leaning against the table's edge and facing her, arms crossed over his lagging upper-chest."Although, I feared the worse for you."  He expressed his genuine concern for the girl.

Aurora tried to recall what happened but, it only made her headache worsen. At the moment, her world was one of confusion; the memories were like the missing gaps of an unfinished, metaphorical puzzle. 

Catching up with her troubled expression, he tried to handle the situation with understanding and empathy."Hey, look kiddo. I'm sure it must have been an awful, scary experience but, you need not dwell in it too much. Accidents do happen, unfortunately, but, its how we deal with it that is important."