Chapter 17 - Apologies

- Andy's POV -

A week passed quickly and Rye came over again on a Tuesday afternoon. My mum wasn't home again, so it was just me and him. We sat down in the kitchen at the dining table again and started revising what they studied that day in Maths class. Rye actually seemed to understand the topic this time, which was very good because I didn't have to explain that much, just try and solve a few problems together.

All the while, I tried to keep my eyes off the beautiful brunet's profile, but it was very hard. The way the light from the window shone on him made his jawline pop and his dark chocolate brown eyes turn to a hazely colour.

"Are you enjoying the view?" he asked with a smug smirk on his face, but he didn't look up from the book.
"Sorry." I mumbled and tore my eyes away from him. "You're already done with it?" I asked.
"You sound surprised."
"I mean... that was a pretty tough problem. Let me see." I pulled his exercise book towards me a little to see how he solved it by himself. He miscalculated one thing, which I corrected him on, but he actually did everything right. "Rye you... wow. I'm so impressed, how did you do this? I thought you said you weren't good at math!"
"Yeah well, it's different if I want to do good." he shrugged nonchalantly, like what he said didn't mean anything to him. But he did that thing to me again, he made my heart beat faster and butterflies fly around in my stomach.

"Do you still have that energy drink?" he asked, breaking the awkward silence that settled on the room. He stood up and walked over to the fridge, opening it and noticing the can right away. "There it is."
"Wanna eat something as well? I could fry us some chips."
"Oh that sounds good, I haven't eaten today." he said as I stood up to get the pack of chips from the freezer.
"Me neither." I chuckled.

We didn't really speak after that. I started preparing the chips while he sipped on his drink next to me. I stole a few glances of him when he wasn't looking and from the corner of my eye, I could see he did too. I had no idea what was going on between us, but I knew there was some kind of a tension there.

When I finished the chips, I put some on two plates and got us ketchup and mayonnaise from the fridge. We sat down across each other at the table and started eating the chips, Rye still sipping his drink.
"Want some?" he asked, reaching the can towards me.
"I really shouldn't, it's yours and-"
"You bought it. You can have the rest, I know you like it."
I smiled and took the can, which was almost empty, and started drinking it.

The silence came back again, the only sounds in the room were our chewing. My mind was running over conversation topics that I thought wouldn't offend Rye, but I still barely dared to say anything, knowing he could've exploded anytime like a vulcano. Until I thought of something that I really wanted to ask him.

"So um Rye... Do you have any ideas of where would you like to go after school?" I asked, putting another chips in my mouth.
"No." he answered simply. "But probably nowhere."
"Don't say that. Rye I saw you play football, you're so damn good at it. I think if you would try to focus on your grades a little, if you would want to study at least as much as you dud now, then you could easily get a scholarship and-"
"Andy you don't understand this. I can't just study. I can't just focus on my grades and get them up so easily."

I bit my lip, trying my best to hold myself back from asking anything that I knew would've set Rye off.
"What if I helped? What if I helped you more and we would study together?" I suggested.
Rye snorted. "Yeah sure."
"Rye please, I really want to help you. I know you're a talented and very smart boy and you deserve a scholarship more than anyone else does so-"
"Jesus, Fowler, are you trying to get me to fuck you on this table?" he laughed. I blushed a deep red immediately and mumbled an apology. "Look, Andy, it's not that easy for me. I have... things at home."
"I know."
"No you don't. You don't know how it feels like to go home and never feel safe. You don't know how it feels to be only 18 and have to take care of a family so they don't get hurt. You don't know shit, Andy, you might be smart but you don't know everything." he exclaimed and stood up from the table. He was about to storm out again, but I ran after him.

I caught him at the door, where I stood between him and the door, getting him to stay where he was.
"Move." he said firmly and my body was just desperate to obey him. But I resisted.
"No." I stated shakily. "I'm not letting you go away again. We... we have to talk Rye. I know we're not the bestest friends but I think you and I have more in common than you would think and... and no matter what you've done to me, how many mean things you've said to me, I want you to stay and let me help."

I didn't take my eyes off Rye's, although his stare just told me to submit. I didn't. I wanted to prove I was worthy for his attention and time. I wanted him to stay.

"Andy you don't know me at all. How do you know we have more in common than I would think?" he sighed.
"I... I just feel like that. But if that's the issue then tell me more about yourself!" I suggested.
"No, no no no, that's not a good-"
"I'll start." I said and grabbed his upper arm, pushing him backwards into the kitchen. Rye smiled when I sat him down in a chair and jumped up on the table next to him. I pushed his plate in front of him again and he started eating again.

"My mum and my father weren't in the healthiest relationship when I was young." I started. "They argued a lot and though he never hit my mum, I could tell she was hurting on the inside. He... he died when I was 12."
As I said that, Rye's eyes shot up to me from his plate and they were full of regret.

"Andy..." he breathed.
"No, it's okay, I got over it and so did my mum." I said with a little smile. Rye's hand came up to rest on my thigh and for some reason, it felt calming. "I was pretty much into girly things back then as well-" I chuckled. "-and he blamed my mum for it. He said I will be a fag and well, he was right."
"Andy..." he tried again, this time shifting forward in his seat.
"Ever since he died, I tried to be the best son for my mum. I try my best to study hard, get straight A's so I could get in anywhere with a scholarship and she wouldn't have to pay for it. She already pays for me so much and gives me so much stuff so I try to give her back as much as possible. Hence why I study like 3 or 4 hours a day until I'm so exhausted I can barely even walk and-"

Suddenly, I was stopped by Rye, who stood up and pulled me into a tight hug. I was so shocked at first I didn't even know how to react, but as soon as I registered what was happening, I hugged him back, wrapping my legs around him as well.
"My dad's an abusive alcoholic." he whispered. If there were any other noises in the room, I was sure I wouldn't have heard it, but I did. I heard him all too well and as soon as he said it, I wanted to break down and cry.

"It's okay. I'm right here." I mumbled as I listened to him let out quiet sobs. I could barely believe Rye was crying in front of me, hugging me, letting me know about his very personal life. But I wasn't about to let go of that moment anytime soon. "You have me now, Rye. I'm here." I said as I stroked his back soothingly.
"I'm sorry." he said, his voice cracking no matter how much he tried to keep it even. "For everything I've done."
"It's okay. Everyone has their reasons Rye. It doesn't matter anymore, I forgive you."

I hope you liked this chapter.
Don't forget to vote and comment!💕