Chapter 1

I woke up to a voice shouting my name, well not really a voice, it was my younger brother's cry. God! Jack, in full Jackson but we all called him Jack.

He's probably mad mum made him come wake me. Spoilt brat that He is. But i still love him, i mean who wouldn't, though he can be annoying but he can also be caring and honest to a fault. He's only seven years old, while am 19.....oh no....am twenty already today is my birthday....God! How could i forget?

I ran into our joint bathroom to brush my teeth and went into mum's room with my brother behind me, i guess he also remembers my birthday.

As usual mum was still in her night wear, consisting of a white singlet and a wrapper on it. I love this woman, she was already awake with her bible in hand waiting for me. So i knelt in front of her as we practiced family tradition on our birthdays.

The prayer and the singing and the gifts, its not much but its intimate and i love it. No cakes, not like i don't want it but i know mum works hard for each Naira she earns i cant waste it.

I can't believe am now twenty, i sat in my room, locked the door. I needed my privacy i know if i leave the door open Jack wouldn't let me think in peace. My life has so far been boring, nothinh interesting, I'm a 3rd year student, in one school in western Nigeria.

My mum is a very religious woman, so I wasn't allowed to date, she believesin the waiting till the right time stuff and keeping your virginity till your wedding night. Well, i don't really support her beliefs but sincerely no man is worth losing ur viginity for as far as I'm concerned. You can call my thoughts orthodox, i really do not care.

So i knelt beside my mattress i call bed, and i said a short prayer. I need a complete turnaround from this boring life.

The rest of the day flew by, with mum going to work and my few friends calling, okay who am i kidding, i gat only two friends Jerry and Ify, i love them crazy and i know the feeling is mutual. They couldn't come around to see me but we did a whatsapp group video call and i couldn't wish for a better birthday.

Three days after my birthday, i have to go back to school, i hate this period cos this is when mum feels the burden of a single mother more. I have to go with foodstuffs and all and then cash. And the almighty tuition fees, but she always manages to provide them.

Lest i forget, my dad is alive but no one knows where he is on the continent, he once said he was in Libya, later Kenya but he once mentioned moving to Ghana but we aven't heard from him in three years now, so..... guess u can still call my mum a single mother.

Packing to school is not always easy, so i ran to pack my travelling bags, no suitcases they are too expensive. Well tomorrow is the D-day, i gotta sleep early, i didn't bother eating dinner, i know its gonna be instant noodles and believe me am already tired of eating it every night for the past tw weeks now, not like am complaining am just tired of it.

I woke up later than am supposed to, i took a tricycleto the motor park. On getting there the first bus had already left, well great, now i have to wait two hours for the bus to fill. I know my day is ruined already, i decided to take a nap.

I was sleeping when i felt someone lightly tappiny my shoulder, i thought it was the driver wanting to take my Bus fare, i opened my eyes with a scowl on my face but the face i see is not that of the driver but the most beautiful man i have ever met in my entire twenty years.