Chapter 4

Its been four weeks now that I've been talking to Hakeem. He added me on whatsapp and we always chatted every morning, whenever he's free during the day and at night before i sleep.

He never insinuated he wanted more than friendship all these while.

Though there was a time he stylishly asked about my relationship life, I told him it was non-existent. He was shocked but didn't say anything about it anymore.

It was the weekend, a friday specifically, i had to travel to Lagos for a cousin's wedding. I am one of the Aso-ebi girls ( meaning bridal train in native nigerian attire), one of the reasons  i love my country is cos of  Owambe (meaning party mostly weddings in Nigeria). I wasn't gonna miss it for the world.

I decided to call Hakeem and surprise hin with the fact that i was in Lagos. It was a beautiful surprise to him and he proposed we meet later in the day. Just to hangout and have fun in general. We agreed to meet in a KFC outlet near my house. The agreed time was 6:pm, so he wont have to leave work early cos of me.

It is time to go meet Hakeem, mum came back home early, which is a plus and a disadvantage, because i can leave home without worried about leaving Jack alone at home but i also have to explain to mum why am leaving home so late.

I cooked up a lie, i know its against everything she taught me but a little bit of lie can't hurt, can it? 

I saw mum in the kitchen as i was about leaving, she was cooking her famous Egusi soup (a popular soup in the eastern, western and southern part of Nigeria).

I went up to her and started my lie

" Mum, i need to go out, there's this assignment our lecturer gave us and it has to be done in the cafe and sent to his email before tomorrrow"

"Why didn't you say since? Why just now? It's getting late already, you sure you can go alone? Or should i come with you?" She said concern showing on her face

So typical of mum....she can be overprotective when she wants to be .
"I'll be fine mum, it won't take me up to two hours, I'll  be back before you even notice. Don't miss me. Bye." I said and ran out before she insisted on following me

On getting there, i called Hakeem, he was already waiting for me. This guy is a total gentleman.

I walked inside, went to his table and i froze...Damn! This guy is HOT. He was wearing a sky blue shirt on a navy blue pants. The shirt was unbuttoned at the top, so i could glimpse his neck down to his collar bone. I gulped and looked up slowly, my eyes lands on his lips, they were pink, fuller at the buttom and thin on top. Then my eyes moved on to his nose, straight and a little big but not too big to make him look ugly, and then his eyes, they made me feel transported. But there was a certain gleam in them, like he was amused. His hair was styled in an Afro punk, i really love that haircut on men. And then his beards, he keeps a wide beards and they look so soft, perfectly trimmed like he just left a salon,  i felt like running my hands through them.

All in all, he has a beautiful face and he looks tall too, i can't  be too sure cos I've never seen him stand before, spare the day we met on the bus. And i was on the bus, so i couldn't judge his height from my position.

Then i realise I've been starring at him for awhile now.

God!! I just succeeded in embarrassing myself, now he knows am checking him out.

I could feel my cheeks warm, i give him a nervous smile and he only chuckles and offered me a seat.

We ordered our food and ate in silence with little conversation breaking it.
After the meal, we talked about ourselves, plans, expectations in life and all.

Then he suddenly became serious and looks me in the eye " I really like you a lot Belle, do you think you can date me?"

My head is spinning.....its a lie, its a lie, he can't mean that"

" You really do not mean that do you?" I replied

" Ofcourse i do dear, i can't seem to think straight since that day i saw you, please just think about it. You do not have to give me a reply now, just promise to think about it, okay?" he said

"Okay" that seems to be the only word that could get past the lump in my throat

Why does he want me? I have nothing to offer him, he's successful and obviously from a rich background with the little conversation we had about our families. He's out of my league, not to talk of his looks. So why me?

These and a bunch of other questions kept on whirling in my head

I feel a light tap on my palm i placed on the table and i jerked it away. It was like a shock went through my arms.  I'm really attracted to him, God please help me.

He offered to drive him home after sorting the bills, i declined knowing i had to lie to mum to leave home.

He stood up,  Now I'm sure he's tall,  i thought with a smile on my face i barely reached his shoulders.

My perfect Gentleman

We walked out, i walked him to his car and was mentally shocked. This dude is rich. He drives a BMW latest model, all black and shiny. Well good for him, i ain't after his wealth.

He promised to call later and i left for home. I got home in record time, it was few minutes to 8pm.

Mum was already preparing for bed, i declined her offer of dinner with the excuse of not wanting to eat late in the night. I went to her room for our night prayers, bade her and Jack goodnight and left her room

Hakeem called later in the night, he persisted on the dating matter. I pointed out our wide age gap to him but he said he didn't mind and he sees no reason why i should mind. I also told him mum was against me martying from a different ethnic group outside Yorubas (a popular ethnic group in Nigeria). And moreso he's a muslim, that's a big no for mum.

He insited on we trying a relationship first then we shall sort mum later.He told me to think more about it and bade me good night.

I went to bed and slept like a baby, guess God was finally giving me my birthday wish.

A/N: Hi guys, incase you're a reader not familiar with Nigerian cultures and all. This book is based on Nigerian home, so am sorry if you're not comfortable with some ideas or words.
I just had to make it as real as possible.
Looking on the brighter side, it might give you an idea of what Nigeria is like.
Thanks for reading

Love y'all 😘😍