Chapter 16

Belle's P.O.V

Work was going fine, as fine as it could, minus the rigid politeness between I and Hakeem.

It's been over three weeks and fortunately for me my menstruation came on its expected date, though the flow was a bit off. Ify explained to me that it was one of the possible side effects of the post-pill.

I closed early for the day because of a sudden feeling of tiredness. Even Hakeem once showed concern at work and told me i was looking pale. I guess i caught the flu or something.

I got home, used drugs and got into bed.

I was woken the next morning to the smell of something so nauseating. I rushed into the bathroom and emptied my stomach into the toilet.

Great, now my day is perfectly ruined.

I went to the kitchen to check what Ify was cooking, the more i neared the kitchen the more overwhelming the smell became. I went to the gas cooker to check what she was cooking, it was my favourite soup (Egusi soup). But it seems Ify added an ingredient i do not know because the soup smells so awful.

I switched off the gas and carried the soup straight to Ify's room, i could hear her in the bathroom, i left it there and shut the door behind me. I went to my room and brought out an air freshener to spray the whole house.

I went back to my room to bath and get dressed for work. I was almost near my door when i suddenly felt dizzy and all i saw next was black.

I woke up the second time today to see a worried Ify sitting beside me in bed. She hugged me the moment i opened my eyes and whispered in my ears "Don't you ever scare me like that again". I smiled inwardly but i still felt weak.

She told me how she came out of her room just in time to see me fainting. She grabbed me and brought me to the room.

She looked worried and told me i had to go to the hospital for a checkup. I should go but i didn't want to call in sick again in a space of one month. Ify told me she already called Hakeem with my phone and he said i could take my time to get better.

What would i do without her?

I got dressed in a jogger and tee-shirt and soon enough i was driving us to the hospital, since Ify hasn't perfected her driving skills.

We got to the hospital, i got a card and soon i was directed to take tests. I was asked a few questions and i was told they would have to take my urine and blood samples.

We sat for the result, soon it was my turn to go in to see the doctor. She was a friendly lady, she asked of my name which i gave her and soon she brought out my result.

She read through it for few minutes before she looked at me with a big smile and said
"Well, Congrats Miss Belle, you are three weeks pregnant"

I was stunned, How could i be? I used the post pills? God! My mum would be so disappointed? Can i even be a mother to a child now?

All these thoughts and more kept on going through my head and with each question i was looking at my future with apprehension.

I stared at the doctor in horror as my head started spinning again. I shot my eyes to gain my bearing. Then i said in a voice sounding way too squeaky

"Are you sure Doc, because i had my menstruation at the due date?"

She smiled and said "Well we've seen and heard of cases like this. It's absolutely normal for you to get pregnant and still see blood at your time of the month, we call this Implantation Bleeding, But that doesn't change the fact that its a good news".

She kept on rambling about using vitamins, reducing stress and when to come for another checkup.

I was completely speechless through her speech and only nodded when she told me i could go.

I walked out to see Ify, immediately she saw me, she shot to her feet and led me to the car. She must have noticed my mood and assumed the worst.

When we got in the car, Ify looked at me and said "Well....?"

I looked at her and i said in tears "Ify, I'm in deep trouble, I am three weeks pregnant"

"How ? But you used the post-pill and then you had your menstruation this month?"

I related all what the doctor told me but she still looked confused.

"Belle, it's okay, things are going to work out fine. And i want you to know whatever decision you take i will fully support you"

I didn't quickly process her words until the last part clicked. What?!  Abortion is never an option to me and it will never be.

Now the question is, do i inform Hakeem or not?

I took the rest of the week off, I needed time alone to decide what i was going to do. Ify has been so supporting and helpful. She made breakfast for me and enures i eat it before she leaves for work, though i eventually empty it all in the toilet. I checked online and i found out it was normal. Also the morning sickness is only through the first trimester.

I called my mum a week after i found out i was pregnant, i wasn't really excited about telling it because i was expecting her to freak out and really get mad at me. But she surprised me, at first she was  disappointed but the joy of being a grandmother outweighed her annoyance. She asked me what my plans with the baby's daddy was and i explained the situation we were in. She told me she would support me in whatever decision i take.

I feel truly blessed and happy to have people that would stand with me come what may.

I resumed work the following week, i was careful to avoid Hakkem. It was like he would take a look at me and know i am pregnant. But that never happened, he showed concern about my sudden concurrent sickness but i told him it was a little case of malaria, and that was that.

A month after i found out i was pregnant the morning sickness already subsided, just the bout of nausea once in a while. All in all i can say I'm fine and i have been considering telling Hakeem about the pregnancy.

He deserves to know he'll be a father soon and then I owe it to my kid. I know what its like to lack fatherly love and care, i wouldn't want him/her to go through what i did.

I decided it was going to be today, i was about to leave my office to head to his when i saw Ify's call. I picked it and after what she said i wished i never did.

Belle, i just saw an article on Aliyyah's parents about an interview they granted of recent. It said they are planning their daughters wedding for next month. You can check online to confirm.

I was speechless, i said my goodbye and slumped in my chair. I know Hakeem is engaged to Aliyyah but i just never thought their wedding would be this soon.

How do i tell a man about to be married in a months time that i am carrying his child?

I know what i had to do, there was no point in pushing matters. I can't tell him about it. I can't, what if he wants me to abort it or worse still if he takes the baby away from me? I do not have money and he has connections, there's no way i would win such case in court.

The only option is to run, run as far as i can.

I picked my phone and dialled my mum's number. I know she will never let me down and thank God she already changed her address. That's the safest place i can be.

"Hello mum, I need your help....."