Chapter 13

Belle's POV

I have been working with Hakeem for a month now, my first pay was more than the contract stated, i questioned Hakeem over this but he said the increment was just an incentive for my hardwork so far.

Hakeem has been acting weirdly, sometimes he was completely aloof to me, while other times he was polite to a fault.
I have caught him several times checking me out but i couldn't read any meaning to it as he was engaged and his fiancee would always come to see him, they appear to be happy. I really do not care.

Though Aliyyah has been nothing but polite and friendly to me ever since, she once proposed we go out together but i know i couldn't. How could i be her friend when i had a past with her fiance, she deserves better. 

I was at work when my phone rang, i hardly pick calls at work but seeing the caller to be mum. I picked her call and she gave me the worse news of my life in four simple words.

"Your dad is dead" she said

I couldn't beleive it but i noticed she was crying, i could hear her sniffs. It had to be true for her to cry. I was dumbfounded, this is not the way i pictured things to turn out. My first thought was how was my mum feeling.

"Mum, are you okay?"

She was silent for awhile before she replied " No, Belle, No i am not, how can i be? My husband and father of my children just died. I know he hasn't been the best man in the world but i was hoping he would repent...i was hoping to see him and..." she broke off sobbing. I know i had to be with her, she needed me.

I didn't even realise i was crying, the tears were just rolling down my cheeks.

" Mum, please give me few minutes let me call you back". I said to her

"Okay baby, Jack said Hi" and with that she hung up.

I stood up on wobbly feet and walked into Hakeem's office. He was busy with something but i had to talk to him.

"Hakeem, please we need to talk"

He looked up at me and the next minute he was beside me guiding me to his couch, he must have noticed the tears and my distraught. I should resisit his help, i should push him away but i couldnt.

I sat on the couch with him beside me, i buried my face in my palm and cried. I cried for my mum, for Jack that didn't  even get the chance to know his dad and my dad that died without a family beside him. Even though he chose that life, i felt he deserved better.

Hakeem pulled me into a hug, i couldn't restrain, it only made me sob harder. I miss him and now he's gone, my dad is gone.

After a few minutes of sobbing, i pulled back and looked him straight in the eye
"I have to go home, please allow me. I'll be back in a few days but i have to go be with my mum and brother".

"Its okay Belle, you can go. Take all the time you need, I'll have someone substitute for you till you get back". He said.

I only nodded in response and left for my office. I was busy packing my stuff when Hakeem called, he had booked my flight, i thanked him profusely and left for my house.

The flight was in two hours, i had to pack few things and leave for the airport which is fifty minutes drive away from my house. I called Ify on my way to the airport to break the news to her, to say she was shocked is an understatement. She told me she would come home early but i informed her i was already on my way to the airport. She wished me safe journey and i ended the call. Thank God i took a taxi, i needed the time to clear my head and compose myself before i get to the airport.