Chapter 22

Hakeem's P.O.V

I woke up refreshed this morning, i called my secretary to book a flight for noon to Lagos. I wasn't rushing since i know Belle would probably be in church. I took a quick shower and got dressed in a native attire, a long sleeve top and trousers sewn with a navy blue senator material. I love wearing our native attires, it makes me feel more African.

I drove to Ify's house, i know she would be back from church as she is a Catholic and she attends morning mass. I got to her house in record time and was let in by a man i  assume to be her boyfriend judging on his look upon seeing me. He was tall, huge maybe handsome but the scowl on his face was not allowing it.

"Well can you please tell Ify I'm here?" I asked trying to swallow my pride. He only grunted and went to get Ify.

Ify walked in wearing a bum short and sports bra with a baggy singlet on top.

"Well if it ain't Hakeem my bestfriend's lover. So why are you still here?" She said

"To appreciate your effort and to apologise for imposing on you last night" i said with a tight smile, i wasn't too comfortable talking with the guy standing like a bodyguard by the door.

"Can you step outside for a minute?" I said to Ify. She looked at the guy, smiled and nodded her assent but added before we left

"Hakeem this is my friend, Dave and Dave this is Belle's lover Hakeem". This seemed to calm the man down as all of a sudden he was smiling and offering his hand for a shake. I shook his hand and walked out without saying another word.

Once we were outside sitted in my car Ify started talking immediately "so what now lover boy?'" As much as i know and accept i love Belle i still hate being called lover boy.

"Do you plan on teasing me forever?" I asked with a raised eyebrow. She only shrugged in reply and asked what brought me here.

"Well, i want to go to Lagos, infact my flight leaves in about two hours from now. But the problem is, Ify, what if she rejects me? I hurt her soo much and I'm scared it's too late to apologise. What if she has found another man? What if she doesn't love me anymore? What if...." i was cut short by Ify's sudden outburst

"Enough with the 'what ifs' Hakeem! Seriously you can't be sure unless you try? It is a risk you have to take for love, love is risk infact this life as a whole is a risk. But let me ask you this would you rather not go and consequently  face a lifetime of thinking about what could have been or you go out there and risk it all? I can't assure you she will give you a positive response but i can assure you will feel better knowing you gave it your all. Now man up and go get your woman". With that said Ify hugged me and got out of the car, without turning around, she walked into her apartment and shut the door. I guess its a cue for me to take my leave.

I have to get to the airport but first i need to run a little errand.

*******

Belle's P.O.V

Ever since Hakeem's sudden appearance and his hasty departure i have been unbalanced. Mum pretty much deduced that Hakeem is the father to my unborn child, my son.  He's the only thing that keeps me going. He's like an anchor holding me down in this storm.

Seeing Hakeem again only reawoken what i thought was dead. The moment i saw him my heart beat so fast that i lost balance for a second. Then the joy of seeing him after thinking it was impossible, followed closely by the fear of him discovering my secret. I thought he knew already, i was scared, i thought he would demand i have the baby where he is and then take custody of him. But all my fears were for nought as he asked who the father of my child is with contempt in his eyes. I should be relieved he did't know he is the father but instead all i felt was anger.
How could he? How could he assume i slept with another man? Did he think i throw myself at every man i see? Did that one night even mean anything to him?

So i hid my hurt with anger and sent him out, it's final this time. I sobbed bitterly when i saw his car drive-off, fuck hormones. Mum held me in a tight embrace and promised me we would be fine.  I doubt it but i need to be strong for my child.

Now it's sunday, my mum and Jack had gone to church but i couldn't, i wasn't feeling like it. So i stayed at home and decided to make bean pudding (moin moin). I finished cooking, had a quick shower and was wearing a simple flower-printed dress, reaching barely below my thigh.

I heard the gate open and mum drove in. They were late but that happens sometimes. I wlecomed them with a bright smile and went to set the table. I was clearing the table after our meal when i heard the knock on the gate.

That's strange, who could it be?

Jack went to check who was at the gate while i went to the kitchen to wash the plates. It had to be one of mum's friends.
I heard the gate open and someone drive in.

Then i heard a voice, so similar to Hakeem's but i know I'm only hallucinating.
God! I now hear his voice everywhere...i miss him so much..
I quickly dismissed the thought as fast as it came, i couldn't risk letting mum know i have been thinking.

I felt a presence behind, thinking it is
Jack i asked him "Who was at the gate?"

"I" the voice said. It was creepily so familiar.

I turned so fast i had to grasp the kitchen counter to steady myself. I stared on in shock " Hakeem...?" Disbelief lacing my voice. " Hakeem, is that really you?"

Then he talked to confirm what i already knew " Belle, please come sit, let's talk"

God! Please don't let it be about my baby, my son.
I unconsciously wrapped my hands around my bump protectively. I felt his eyes land on my belly and my heart started pounding in fear. I really need to sit before i pass out.

He made an attempt to help me get to the nearest chair but i stopped him. I didn't want him touching me, i need to be prepared for what is to come next.

He sat opposite me and said in a calm voice, almost too calm and cold "Belle, when did you plan on telling me you are carrying my child?"

Hey lovelies, another chapter!!!!
😊😊😊
I'm so so so sorry for the delay
And i promise you the story is about to come to an end.
Hope you enjoyed reading it as much as i enjoyed writing it.
Pls don't forget to vote, comment and follow
I luv y'all
😘🤗☺