Chapter 19

Belle's P.O.V

A week after i moved back to Lagos, Ify called to tell me of Hakeem's sudden appearance at her house. She also told me she had told him i wasn't living with her anymore and she had warned him to never come back again.

I know he deserved the treatment he got from Ify but i felt bad for him. Ify was adamant she had done right by treating him that way.

Maybe i should let go of the pity and forget about Hakeem.

Work with mum has been going fine, mum and Jack has been very supporting and for that i am grateful.

My pregnancy was coming along fine, i was barely starting to show, it was just a slight bump to my stomach. I was contented with my life but i couldn't say i am happy.

I should be, i deserve to be but i still do not feel it.

Ify kept on telling me how Hakeem would come to her door every night to ply her for informations about my whereabout. I felt pity for him but i can't let him know where i am.

Ify was beginning to beg me to allow her give him my number. I can't, i was already past that. I begged Ify to never raise Hakeem's topic with me again. I told her to get rid if him whatever way she can, without giving him my contact.

Ify wasn't happy with my decision to keep the pregnancy a secret from him, she believes his concern is genuine and i should give him another chance.

I can't blame her though, she wasn't in my shoes. She doesn't know how hard it is for me to raise a child like myself. I always hoped my children would have a present and loving father unlike mine. But life doesn't always go as planned.

Ignoring my warning, Ify kept on calling me to talk about Hakeem, its seems like she is convinced we coming back together is for the better. So i had to resort to ignoring her calls, i wasn't happy about it but i can't risk my hard earned peace anymore.

I was just beginning to get over Hakeem, there was no way i would go back to him.

Ify sent me a message one afternoon, telling me since i was not picking her calls, she missed me and wants to talk. And she promised not to raise Hakeem's topic. I am so happy she is finally over that phase and values our friendship more than Hakeem.

I called her and we talked. I apologised for ignoring her calls, she also apologised for being adamant. She told me she would be coming to see me for the weekend, i was excited to have my best friend around me again.

True to her word, Ify came for the weekend. Mum was seeing her for the first time but they got along well. I was four months along now, and my bump was becoming noticeable.

We had fun together, I took her on a tour of lagos and soon she was going back to Abuja on sunday. I drove her to the airport and went back home. Feeling happy for the first time in awhile now.

Maybe, just maybe, I would be happy again being with my family and friends, those that matters.

I got gome and i went to mum's room to hug her and tell her how much i appreciate her effort. Mum was so happy to see me in such mood, she confirmed she had noticed i was not happy since i moved back but she had been waiting, hoping i would see that all that matters to me are here with me.

Her words teared me up and soon we were hugging and sniffing.

She has been supporting, even after i told her the circumstance surrounding my pregnancy, she never for once syopped caring. She stood by my decision to keep my baby a secret from the father, assuring me she will be there all the way.

We resumed our routine and soon enough, i was laughing once again with my family without a care in the world.

*******
Ify's P.O.V

Ever since the night Hakeem came to see me, he kept on disturbing me every other night. Of course i never for once came out to see him, he kept on knocking till after an hour then he would go home and the next night he would be back again.

After days of his persistent visit, i decided to come out one night to listen to him. He was sitting at my door, waiting hopefully for me to open the door.

I opened the door and sat beside him. Whether he was shocked about my sudden change of mind was unknown to me. He barely acknowledged my presence, he sat there staring at nothing.

I looked at him and i felt pity for him, he was still as handsome as ever but the life in him was gone, almost like he was just existing. Though i didn't really know him until that fateful night, i had once forced Belle to show me his picture online. And i had teased her about how handsome he was and how i wanted to go for him.
But this man sitting here is a shadow of his old self.

I said in a low voice " Hakeem, you know you have to quit coming here every night".

Silence

"Belle has moved on with her life and you have to"

Silence still

"Belle loved you, she waited for you but you never reciprocated her love, neither did you spare her your time. You meant a lot to her but to you she was just another girl to sleep with" i saw him flinch and he spoke for the first time.

" Is that what she told you? Is that how she feels? Is that why she left me?" He said sounding resigned.

"Maybe, maybe not, i am in no position to say. But you really do need to stop" i stood up now and said

"wait here please, let me get you something".

I went inside and got the car key Belle left with me for Hakeem. It was the key to her official car. I went back to the door and met Hakeem right where i left him.

I held out the key to him and said
"Belle wants you to have this, i should have given you a long time ago but i guess i was also secretly hoping she would come back and we could pretend all this never happened. But i know she won't. Take care of yourself Hakeem".

I placed the key in his palms and was about to turn to go when he suddenly grabbed my hands and said in a very low voice

"What is your name please?"

"Ify" i said to him

" Ify, i promise to never bother you again but can i have your contact so you can call me whenever you hear from Belle.
I know you know more than you are telling me but i will never pressure you to say more"

I was torn between loyalty for Belle and pity for this man i barely knew. I nodded and typed my digits on his phone. He bade me goodnight and left.

After then I and Hakeem became friends, it was awkward at first but we started talking every night and soon we were friends. I got to know about Aliyyah, i hated her at first when i knew she was the reason Belle ran to Lagos. But as soon as they explained what happened to me i understood them.

I wanted to tell Belle about it but Hakeem insisted i didn't.  He wanted to explain to Belle himself to her face.

I have been disturbing Belle for long now to please talk to Hakeem but she insisted not to. In fact she had been ignoring my calls for a week now so i had to message her.

She called me and apologise and i did same. I decided to go see her in Lagos.

I went to Lagos for the weekend, it was a pleasant experience and Belle's family are nice people. Her mum is amazing and fun to be with, likewise her younger brother.

Now, i had gotten Belle's address even if she will hate me for it. I am ready to face it, i have to do something about all that is happening.

I called Hakeem on monday for us to meet up, I gave him Belle's address, He is so happy i took the risk for him.

I know Belle might see me as a bad friend but i will do what is best for her, even if she thinks otherwise, i am so sure Hakeem is the best for her. And they deserve a shot, a second chance.