Sleepless || Sirius Black

Sleep was something that you just couldn't get. You rarely got a good nights sleep, so you could often be found in the Gryffindor common room late at night. Tonight was no different, you were sat in the common room reading a book and with a mug of steaming tea in your hands. The light from the fire made the common room glow with red and orange light.

A door creaked; you looked behind you to find Sirius standing in the door way, rubbing his eyes and yawning slightly. He didn't say a word as he walked over to you, slumped onto the sofa, rested his head in your lap and cuddled into your lap.

"Nightmare?" You asked the tired boy; Sirius only nodded, tracing pattens on your thigh with his fingers.

This was far from unusual for you. You were best friends with Sirius and the rest of the Marauders. You knew about Remus' 'furry little problem' and helped him with the other boys once a month. This was a side of Sirius that only you got to see, he trusted you with this side of him more than anyone else. He would tell you about his nightmares and cuddle into you for comfort, not that you minded.

"What are you reading?" He asked, his voice gruff from exhaustion. You ran your fingers through his long, dark hair, to which he hummed in satisfaction. 

"I'm reading a book about Greek mythology." You smiled down at him. Sirius nodded, his eyes slowly sliding shut.

"Read to me. Please?" He requested, gently nudging your hand, asking you to continue running your fingers through his hair.

"Okay." You smiled, leaning down and pressing a soft kiss to his temple. Your eyes turned back to your book, making you miss the small smile that adorned Sirius' lips.

As you read allowed, you could hear Sirius' breaths even out as he slowly fell asleep. That didn't stop you from running your fingers through his hair as he slept. You continued to read as Sirius slept often stopping to glance down at the boy sleeping on your lap. A couple of hours later, Sirius started to stir in his sleep. His eyes opened lazily and looked up at you as you read.

"You need to sleep." Sirius' groggy voice made you look down at him.

"I can't, just go back to sleep, I'll be fine." You mused softly, tucking some of his long hair behind his ear.

"No." Sirius said defiantly. He took the book out of your hands, placed it on the floor and pulled you down next to him on the sofa. 

The two of you were facing each other now. Sirius had his arms wrapped around your waist as your arm was resting on his shoulder and still you were running your fingers through his soft hair.

"You're always taking care of me, now I'm returning the favour." He grinned, kissing your forehead slightly, you smiled at him.

"I'm fine, Sirius. You need to worry about me." You whispered, smiling softly at him.

"I'll always worry about you. I care about you." Sirius responded, one of his hands moving up to rest on your cheek.

"And I'll always care about you too." You responded, laughing slightly. 

"I should hope so." He grinned, causing you to laugh as he pulled you closer, "Get some sleep, love." He smiled, pulling you into his chest and kissing your temple.

You hummed as you slowly began to feel tired, Sirius drawing soft shapes on your arm was helping and so was his humming. He softly hummed a tune that you didn't know as you closed your eyes and finally let sleep take you over.

Sirius smiled down at you as he ran his fingers through your hair, "I love you." He whispered, kissing your forehead. He knew you were asleep, he wanted to tell you so badly but he decided to tell you in the morning; he didn't want to wake you, you looked so peaceful in his arms as you slept.