The Day He Was in My Shoes

Shout out to @TalyZilla & @OreoPuff for their suggestions! I sort of combined your ideas so I hope that's okay!

Trigger Warnings: 🚫

Okay, Virgil, this is Roman. I know I promised you, I wouldn't write in your new journal, but I had to. I didn't want to forget this and this was the closet thing around I could write in. It's almost 2:00 in the morning. I don't want to wake you up. I know you say you're okay if I do, but you need sleep just like the rest of us!

Anyway, I woke up about 5 minutes ago from a nightmare. Not just any type of nightmare though. The type of nightmare that YOU always describe having. It was so odd. But I should start from the beginning.

I woke up in a room. It was weird. It looked exactly like my old bedroom. There was one wall that was painted red that had my dresser, a giant mirror, and a door to my walk-in closet. The rest of the walls were white, but you could hardly tell with the amount of Disney and music posters covered them. There was a shelf full of awards and accolades from all the shows I had ever been in.

Rolling over my bed, I yelled out a dramatic yawn followed by some stretching. I felt like I had slept for months on end. I drew my curtains, letting in the shiny sun's light. The outside of my room looked different than it normally did. I found that odd but didn't think much of it.

Making my way over to my mirror, I began to wonder what I should wear today. I glanced in my mirror but had to do a double-take. I was fully dressed in some sort of prince outfit. I had golden tinsel like stuff on my shoulders that ran down my arms. Two shield symbols as well. My pants were brown and I had high black boots that had a small heel on it.

I was super confused. When did I buy this?

I started to wonder if Remus was pulling some sort of prank on me. I mean, our last night is Prince. I rolled my eyes, releasing a couple of fake laughs as if I was expecting him to show up somewhere. Alas, nothing.

When nothing happened, I decided to go out and find him myself. I stepped out of my bedroom. Immediately, I got disoriented. This wasn't my old house. This wasn't even Virgil's house. This was brand new. It had two other doors on the wall diagonal from mine and another door right next to me. Each door had a different symbol. One had a heart, the other a brain. The one next to me had a storming cloud on it.

The walls had pictures hung for miles. Every picture was of some guy that looked somewhat familiar to me. Maybe it was the lighting in the photos, but it looked an awful lot like Warden Sanders.

I continued down the hall, trying to find the room Remus might be in. Without paying much attention, I rammed into someone. We both stumbled back but when I looked up, it was Virgil. He looked super different; decked out in his homemade jacket with the same cloud like the one on that door. He had pitch-black eyeshadow and ripped jeans.

"Sorry about that, Princey." He mumbled, looking to walk past me again.

"Whatever, Brad Pitt-iful!" I said back in a rather irritated manner. I quickly clasped my hands over my mouth. My eyes were wide. Why the hell did I just say that? And in that way? That was hardly an apology!

"Wow...I-I didn't mean to!" He whimpered, racing past me with tears in his eyes.

"Wait, Jack Smellington! I mean, Panic! at the Everywhere! I mean, Virgil!" What was happening to me? I couldn't stop insulting him. A disgusting feeling floated in my chest. I felt rotten.

I decided to keep looking for Remus, hoping that maybe whatever just happened to me would subside. Despite this, I couldn't get that interaction out of my mind. It was like it kept replaying in my head.

I hopped my way down some stairs when I saw Logan and Patton sitting in, what must've been the living room area. They were talking but had stopped when they saw me. "Hey there, kiddo!" Patton greeted. He looked...off. He wore a light blue polo with a cat cardigan. Logan was off too. He had a black polo and a dark blue tie. They both were different somehow.

"Hey there, Cardigan-Clad Clod!" I said, shooting finger guns at him. There I went again! Patton's face hit the floor. His peppy attitude almost melting right off him.

"What's your problem, Roman?" Logan questioned, shooting him a look.

"Nothing, Book Germ! I feel fine!" I snarked back. I grabbed my mouth. These aren't my words. I mean, I'm saying them, but I don't want to. Why is all I'm doing hurting people? My friends; the people I love!

I got a sick feeling in my stomach. My sort of tugging sensation. Patton and Logan both sunk into the floor like it was nothing. I assumed I had to follow them. So, I focused on the tugging feeling, closing my eyes to harness it.

When I opened my eyes, I thought I was in the exactly same place I just was. Expect, I was standing in front of the TV. Patton was to my right with Logan and Virgil were to my left. They were all staring straight ahead. They looked like they were empty. Like mindless robots or something. "Guys?" I said, finally getting control of my voice.

All at once, they turned to me. I flustered red from all of the attention. They didn't blink, they just stared.

"Pouty McSpecs, Cardigan-Clad Clod. I am just a joke to you?" Patton spoke in a monotone accent. Before I could respond, Logan went off.

"Microsoft Nerd, Microsoft Turd, Calculator Watch, Specs, Sub-Astute Teacher, Drama Turd, Teach, Erlenmeyer Trash, No-Funsun Honeydew, Book Germ, Iron Giant Nerd. I am just a waste of time to you?" He yelled. Finally, Virgil spoke.

"Beast, Emo Nightmare, My Chemically Imbalanced Romance, Brad Pitt-iful, Negative Nancy, Doctor Gloom, Jack Smellington, Count Woe-laf, Jason Toddler, Jerky McJerk Face, Surly Temple, J. D-lightful, Marilyn Morose, Panic! at the Everywhere, Creepy Cookie, Raisin Oatmeal Cookie, Incredible Sulk, Charlie Frown, Robert Downer Jr., Vomity Central. Do you even care about me?!" He screamed.

I could feel my heart shatter. All of these names. Everything I've ever thought about them. Back during SJMH. I never meant any of it. This was just what I thought about them. I didn't trust them at first. I was worried they'd abandon me. Like everyone else did.

"IS THIS REALLY WHAT YOU THINK OF US?!" The three all screamed at once. Red tears swam down their emotionless faces. I cried. I didn't know what else to do. "MAYBE THIS IS WHY YOU CAN'T STAY ADOPTED!"

That.

That broke me.

I shot up in bed, a cold sweat covering me. Virgil was still asleep in bed. He shuffled a little as he noticed I wasn't where I originally was. I leaned back in bed, making sure he didn't wake up.

After that, I noticed his notebook. Your notebook, Virgil. I'm sorry to write in here. But after you told me about your nightmare...I think I understand.