Chapter 4

The morning was bright and beautiful. I had breakfast with Myles and his family. He drove me to school and then headed for college.

Myles was currently pursuing a course in chemical engineering. He loved Chemistry and so did i. It was what brought us together.

Chemistry is challenging; requires deep and thorough thoughts and applies to every aspects of our life, really. It is the central science for obvious reasons.
Studying atoms and molecules of the various elements, their bonds and reactions with other substances and how their orbitals are hybridized is like understanding the entire universe, literally.
Weird, I know.

But really, I've found love in chemical experiments and researches and studying with Myles made it twice as fun. It was so reassuring to see someone else who had the same passionate love for Chemistry.

I still remember that night when Jason my elder brother brought his buddies Ian and Myles home. I was in the 12th grade of elementary school and Jason was in his senior year of high school.
At the table, Jason introduced his two friends.
Myles and I hit off quite well.
And three years down, here we are - best friends.

*. *. *. *. *. *.
Immediately I got to school I knew something was off. The stares I got when I got unto campus was piercing. What was up? I was back to my normal self, right?
Soft afro in a messy updo bun. Check.
Horrid glasses on. Check.
No makeup. Check.
Evident ugly birthmark. Check.
Tomboy outfit. Check.

What is going on?!

As I walked through the hallway, I couldn't help but notice all the stares. What it because of Lana's humiliation last night? Who was I kidding? I could bet on my life that Lana had something to do with this.
Owen Clark walked up to me. What did he want from me? After all these death stares, the last thing I wanted to do was to be seen with the school's man whore. No offense but really.

"Hey, can you pass by my apartment tonight, we could get down and dirty-
He winked at me.
"Eww... No!"
I walked away.
"Well it's your loss beautiful. At least, I wouldn't record and post it on the school page."
That's when it finally hit me. I immediately stopped in my tracks. No, it can't be. Liam! I rummaged through my backpack, retrieved my phone and logged on to the school's page. I can't believe Liam will go this far. How could he?!
The leaked video topped the list of trending issues on Briarwood Academy's page.

I had a call. It was Myles
"Myles"
"Jael... what's the meaning of this? Is that what you were up to all night? Have you thought about the serious implications this could have on you and your family?! Why did you keep it from me? I thought we were best friends..."
"I allow you to sneak out one time and you just jump into bed with your bad boy crush."
I was on the verge of bursting into tears.
"I just didn't think- "
"That's right. You didn't think! How could you let yourself down like that. What were you expecting from someone like him? A fairytale princess ending or oh oh wait... a mafia princess ending? Seriously, Jael get a grip?"

Tears streaked down my face. I now felt the full import of what had happened.
"Enough. I get it!"
"Well too late for that. I'm so disappointed in you." And then he hanged up.

I burst into tears. I couldn't handle all that pain and agony. I raced to the bathroom. I felt someone follow closely behind. I knew who it was so I didn't bother to look back.
"Jael..." she hugged me.
"Sweetheart, it's okay. Yeah, you made one mistake but it's not the end of the world."
I looked up at her with my tear stained face with an expression that read, ' Way to ruin the mood, Jayla.'
She laughed at my expression and I rolled my eyes.

Immediately, we stepped out, Brian, my course mate walked up to us.
"Jael, the principal wants to see you in his office right now."
Oh God, now I'm in deep trouble.
Jayla noticed my sense of fear and encouraged me.
"Now we both agree that you took one heck of a nose dive but the first step to getting back up is facing the music."

All my life, I've hated being a twin. I didn't like the thought of another 'me' walking about but today, I was eternally grateful to have Jayla as my twin.

"Don't worry dear. Whatever happens, I'll be here for you." I smiled as she wrapped me in a warm embrace.

I stepped into the principal's office. My mum was already seated there.
I'm done for...