Chapter 20

"Girls, get behind me now!" Dad yelled as mum and Jayla rushed behind him.
I stood rooted to the spot.
"Jael!" Dad yelled but I didn't move.
"What's with all the guns? I thought you guys were friends." I questioned.
"Beats me." Sir Diego remarked.
Shane immediately grabbed my arm, pulling me behind him.
"What do you want Carlos?" Dad questioned.
"I can see you've not forgotten about me. It's been 12 years but I can tell I'm still fresh in your memory, right my dearest Renée?"
Everyone kept mute so he continued.
"I'm not here to kill you, at least not yet. I wasn't sure you received my message so I'm here to show you that I'm back and I'm coming for you Carlson!"

The police sirens could be heard from afar. They quickly took to their heels as Shane and Cleopas chased after them. Gunshots could be heard everywhere. Nick immediately appeared and after securing the area, led us to our cars while following closely behind.

Jayla was with mum and dad in their Mercedes Benz G-Class while I was with Jayson in his AMG.
I took this opportunity to squeeze some information out of him.

"Jason."
"Yeah"
"You know something I don't"
"Jael... mum and dad will explain once we get home."
"But why did you have a gun? I always knew dad did but you never told me you had a gun. What if I wanted to borrow it?" I said in mock anger and he lighten up.
"For real, Jayson. What's going on?"
"mm... all I can say is that there's so much to this than you think. Mum and dad had a pretty rough start to marriage life."
"You know you didn't let on much right?"
He could only sigh.

When we got home, the police had the property fully secured. Who was Sir Diego or Carlos? And what he did he do to warrant such tight security?

When we got in, I remembered I had to check on Myles but after what happened, I doubt I would be allowed to.
Dad took mum to their room. She was pretty shaken up. She looked like she did when Tyler, our little brother died. I just hoped she wouldn't have to go through therapy again.

Jayla barged in.
"Forgotten how to knock?"
She rolled her eyes.
"What if I was naked?"
"That's nothing I haven't seen before. Besides, it'll be like looking at my reflection in the mirror."
We burst into laughter.
"Got any juice?" She asked.
"I tried everything I could to squeeze some information out of Jayson but he remained tight lipped."
"Mum was having a panic attack so I dared not ask her. Dad simply didn't want to talk about it."
"With tonight's events, they'll have to tell us about it sooner or later."
"Totally."

I thought long and hard and finally broke the silence that had engulfed us.
"Something disturbs me... He said 12 years ago and the only significant thing that happened 12 years ago was the attack on mum and dad and Tyler's death.
"Yeah... and mum looked as terrified as she did then. It's almost like we're reliving that time again."

Then we stopped, looking at each other.
"You thinking what I'm thinking?"
I hurriedly sat behind my computer and Jayla took a seat a seat beside me. I typed in Carlos Diego.

Woah...

[ You can read my book Intense to understand this episode better]