Chapter 10

Since the Texas State High School Soccer Championship was coming up, our soccer team has been training earnestly and have been permitted to skip classes for soccer practice.

During lunch break, I met up with Jayla and Carrie at the soccer field. Briarwood soccer team was having tryouts that afternoon especially since the graduation of the senior year students was drawing near. Melvin was taking part in the tryout session.

Melvin was Carrie's younger brother. They were both our cousins. Their mum, Aunt Mia, was our dad's younger sister. They were so sweet and fun to be around. Carrie was in the senior year with us. She and Jayla were best friends. They were so close that I sometimes got jealous but I don't blame her.

I guess, during our childhood, I was never the best company. Jayla found a friend in Carrie and I've learnt to respect that. Besides, I know I've an irreplaceable slot in my sister's heart.

My childhood was not a very pleasant one. I was never this reserved. I was more outgoing like Jayla; having many friends. But at a point I shut them all out. It took years to find a friend again. Myles is my only friend now. I have no social life whatsoever.

As a child, I got to realise no one really wanted me. My family took care of me out of responsibility and not because they loved me. It became the evident thirteen years ago, I was 5 years then.
Jason, Jayla and I were taken to spend some time with Grandpa Whyte in New York. Carrie and Melvin came over too. A week after, dad sent for us so Aunt Mia put us on a plane to Austin.
Dad told us someone broke into the house and shot Tyler and that our baby brother had died.

Mum locked herself up for weeks. Dad spent most of his time out. Aunt Mia came over to keep us company.

Mum became so attached to Jayson. Never leaving his side, checking up on him, making sure he was happy.

Dad started staying home more often. Jayla became his peace. Whenever he was home, which he rarely was, it was only Jayla that could lighten up his sunken mood. He did her every bidding. Though I was the elder daughter, Jayla was clearly the daddy's girl.

But who wanted me? That's right. No one.

That's why I found refuge in forensics. Chemistry was my life. No one even noticed the change in me. No, let me rephrase it... No one cared to know what was going on with me.

Grandpa Whyte, gave me access to his labs and for that I was grateful. He took interest in me and helped me grow my love for forensics.
Studying the human mind, homicides, autopsy and murder weapons became the air that I breathed.

And now they just want me to up and follow some Jesus. Where was this Jesus when I cried myself to sleep several times when no one wanted me. But guess what Jesus? I don't need you. I've been okay by myself and I intend to continue that way.

*.            *.            *.           *.          *.           *.         *.        *
Lunch break was over, we were about to head back to class when Liam walked up to us.
"Hey Jayla."
"She's not the only one standing here, you know." Carrie remarked.
"But my eyes can only behold the beauty of this queen..." he stated provocatively and winked at her.
She rolled her eyes and he turned and noticed me.
"Hey geek! School's been fun without you here."
"Call her that again and the only thing that'll kiss your face is my fist." Jayla dared.
"Woah... Easy." He took a step back.
"I know you were in that video too so don't push me." Jayla threatened again.
Liam looked defeated as we shoved past him to our Math class.

Liam knew what Jayla was capable of and I for one knew what such a report could do to his university application but I wasn't planning to going that easy with him. I lost my integrity and my respect and for that Liam, you'll pay. I had nothing more to lose now.

My revenge was going to be served ice cold.