Chapter 13

Oh Goodness. Why does today have to be a school day? I don't want to get out of bed. Maybe if I don't go down, they'll think I've already left. Easy peasy lemon squeezy. I wrapped the blanket tightly around my tiny body. I was determined not to get out of bed. Not even Amedeo Avogadro could convince me to get out of this bed.
There was a knock on the door.
Just great. It was my mum.
"Jael"
"Mum"
"Are you still in bed, what's wrong with you, baby?" She stepped in when she noticed I was a mess.
"I'm fine mum."
"Your eyes tell a different story. You've been crying haven't you? Was it Myles? Did he hurt you?"
"Mum, I'm fine, really."
She looked straight into my eyes. She could tell I was hiding something. I could never hide anything from mum. She could read me easily.
She wrapped me in a warm embrace.
"Baby, you know you can tell me anything right?"
"Yes mum, I know."
She planted a kiss on my forehead.
"Breakfast is ready. Hurry up and get down."

I had a quick shower, got dressed and headed downstairs. They were all seated munching on corn porridge, pancakes, eggs and some fruits. Corn porridge was a family favorite. All you need is a pinch of sugar and milk to taste.

But then I realized the seat to dad's left was occupied. That was-
"Jason!"
I screamed as I ran and hugged him.
"I guess someone's missed me." He muttered and chuckled.
Jason lived in Cambridge, several miles away. He studied in the Massachusetts Institute of Technology. I missed him so much. It's been months since he came home. He kissed my forehead gently.

Once we were all done eating, dad spoke up.
"I have something to say. Kids, henceforth, you'll have security escorts. They'll be in your shadows so you don't need to worry. You won't even notice they're there." Shock washed over us as father called out to some one behind the door.
"You can come in."
Three young men walked in.
"Cleopas is assigned to Jason; Shane is assigned to Jael and Nick is assigned to Jayla."
"Hold on. Why do we need bodyguards in the first place?" I asked, puzzled.
"Escorts, my lady. Escorts." Shane stated with humour.
"Shush!" Jayla cut in. She definitely didn't find it funny.
"It's for your safety kids." Mum chipped in.
Why do I feel they're hiding something?

"Well, then fire Nick because I don't want anyone following me around like I'm some prisoner." Jayla shot as she stormed out.
I looked across the table to where Jason sat. He quietly observed the happenings. Knowing him, he'll make sure Cleopas quits the job himself and pretty soon too. I laughed to myself. Jason was a man of few words; a man of action.

"Fire Shane, as well" I remarked as I made my way to the garage. Mr. Roberts and Jayla might be waiting for me.
"Oh come on kids, we just got the job." I heard Shane call out from behind me.
Jason also got up and headed for his room.

"Those kids are going to be the death of me." dad muttered undertone.
And that wasn't a lie...