Chapter 25

INGRID

I once read a quote from Diary by Chuk Palahniuk that says "The goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will."

And I was about to create that something.

I was alone inside the music room, sitting in front of the grand piano. My fingers were softly touching the white keys, soft enough not to create any sound.

I have always loved the piano. Actually, it was my first love. The smell of it always reminds me of the days that I was still young and free, away and ignorant about the word 'darkness'. And then, I would practice all day even though my finger tips already feels swollen because of how hard I played, I still kept going.

I was patient and I worked hard. Hindi ko alam kung paano ko natagalan ang makapal na librong tungkol sa pag-aaral kung paano tumugtog ng piano. Ang ibang bata kasi mila sa klase ko noon, tuwing nagk-kwentuhan sila ay naririnig kong may sarili silang piano teacher. I tried to ask my mother if we can hire a piano teacher or if I can enroll on a piano class because I want to learn better and to have someone that really knows the piano, but she refused. She always reject everything I want to do. She told me to focus on my academics and that piano will only be a nuisance.

It was never a nuisance. Sa piano ako kumakapit at naglalabas ng emosyon dahil wala akong masabihan tuwing may kinikimkim ako. It became my breather. Until one day, I realized that it wasn't enough.

I needed something. A diary? No. I needed someone. A human diary. But no one came and I had trust issues, so I chose the diary.

And then, he came.

The asungot I never thought that suddenly, unexpectedly came into my life.

I remained staring to nothingness when I heard the creaking of the door and Chaos's silent 'hi'. I was busy thinking about... things.

I sensed him walking towards me. "Scoot over," he said.

I looked up and saw him standing beside while holding his Macbook. A wireless headphone was clinging around his neck.

Umusog naman ako para bigyan siya ng space na uupuan. Agad naman siyang umupo at saka pinatong ang kanyang Macbook sa hita niya. Nakita kong may isang website na nakaopen doon.

"For a cause pala 'yan?" tanong ko habang patuloy na tiningnan ang nasa screen.

"Yeah. 'Yung malilikom na bayad para sa entrance sa competition tsaka 'yung donation daw ng mga special guests mapupunta sa chosen charity," he explained.

"How about the prizes?"

"A trophy, 10 thousand cash and certificate."

"Trophy and certificate lang ang kailangan ko. Sa'yo na 'yung pera," sabi ko at nagumpisang tumugtog.

"Wow, Idang. Confident much? Advanced mag-isip?" tumatawang sabi niya.

I stopped playing and turned my gaze on him and smirked. I leaned closer until my lips were almost touching his ear. I can feel him tense and shift uncomfortable on his seat.

"You see, baby. I'm a fortune teller."

"A-ah..." he cleared his throat. "G-gano'n ba?"

Lumayo ako at umayos ng upo saka tumango. Pinagpatuloy ko ang pagtugtog kahit na nararamdaman ko pa rin ang kanyang mga titig sa akin.

"Ano na? Continue," I smirked at his reaction.

"O-okay..." he paused. "Akala ko kasi magf-fill-up lang ng form pero kailangan pala magvideo ng sarili na tumutugtog. Parang preliminaries lang na audition. Ah, basta!"