Chapter 3

Almost a month passed with the same routine. Wake up at 5, breakfast and attend lectures. Whenever I was free, I would sneak into the library and study. That was, of course, if I wasn't unlucky enough to be caught by Wei Wuxian.

He just loved to drag me around, talk about many random things and always but always coming way too close for my liking. I suspected that private space was not something he was familiar with and I gave up in trying to teach him after the first week.

We were walking out of a class, one day, and it was the usual gang. Cheng, Huaisang, Wuxian and Me.

"Xi-gege, why don't you ever play your flute?" Wuxian suddenly asked me as he came to a halt.

My trusted friend was always on my waist but in the past month, I barely had time to practise. I was busy with well, everything. I actually yearned to play and relax, but I also wanted to do it alone; the audience was never on my list.

"I am just a little bit too busy I guess" I replied and shrugged my shoulders.

His known grin flashed on his face and oh boy, I knew where that would lead. "Why don't you play for us now?"

"No" I replied immediately, already knowing what he would ask me.

I didn't perform for anyone other than my teacher. I preferred to be alone, let music help me and ease my mind.

"Please Xi-gege" he tried to give me puppy eyes and when he saw I was immune, he elbowed Huaisang to do the same.

Cheng was the only one who left out a sigh and didn't participate in the plan. Sometimes, he was the voice of reason between those three. I pinched the bridge of my nose and left out a sigh, knowing I wouldn't get away from that. "Alright, fine"

Wuxian immediately went for a hug and gods I thank you for my fast reflexes. I had grabbed Suì bō faster than ever and put it between me and the clingy teen. I pushed it against his chest, making sure to keep him at a certain distance.

I didn't mind hugs that much but as much as I played a male, I was still a freaking female and that meant there was something on my chest, even though it was small, which could give me away.

"Right...no hugs" he muttered as he got the point, not being the first time he had tried to come a little bit to close.

I swear I would end up beating him with Zixiu if he continued. Yet, even with that I highly doubted it would help the message pass that damn thick skull of his. Letting out another sigh, something that was a habit whenever I was around him, I spun the flute on my hand and leaned on the railing.

I placed it right beneath my bottom lip, my fingers gently holding it and getting into position. I quickly started to browse my mind as to what I could play and then the proper song came. Closing my eyes, I started to play.

The song started slow and melodic, and it was something I had written myself during that 1 year I was away from my family. It was a tough time the first few months and playing the flute really calmed me down.

As I played, I recalled all the happy memories I had with them and couldn't help but smile faintly as I continued. As my memories continued to my time there, the training and stories, my song also sped up to a sort of fighting melody.

At last, I finished by going back to the slow pace. Taking a deep breath, I lowered it and opened my eyes only to be met with more than just a few pair of eyes. Apparently, while I was lost in my own world people had heard me and now, I was surrounded by many disciples.