Chapter 28

The three disciples only walked for a little bit before they spotted the flash of purple and the sound of people talking. Exchanging a look, they walked faster to almost be close in running until they reached a smaller clearing.

There, they saw Clan Leader Jiang, his nephew Jin Ling, Wangji and to their surprise; the local Madman Mo Xuanyu. Slowing down and walking proper, they approached Wangji who was in an intense staring with Cheng.

It did not take long to hear what was going on and realise what had gathered them all. Xuanyu seem to have stumbled on local traps and the Jin clan was always very touchy when it came to others interfering in their night hunts.

Sizhui gave a small bow to Xuanyu and Guan-yin simply gave him a look. Her attention, however, stayed fully on Jin Ling. She had met him before; a couple of times and they did not get along that well.

He was too spoiled in her opinion, always whining when things did not get his way. He also wanted to play it brave and strong but lacked a lot of things, like self-control and proper training.

"Young Master Jin" Sizhui started. "Night hunts have always been fair game. But casting nets around Defan Mountain makes it difficult for other clans' disciples. That's against the rules, right?"

"They were stupid enough to get caught" Was his reply, his tone not hiding how more superior he felt than the people he spoke about. "What can I do about that?"

"How about following the rules and not cover the whole forest with your nets? That sounds like a start" Guan-yin said, standing next to her disciples.

She narrowed her eyes slightly and Lin did the same, an intense staring battle starting between the two of them. The tension started to grow even thicker until a voice was heard.

"Master! Master!" A Jiang disciple shouted, rushing forward but coming to a halt once he noticed Wangji. "Ma...ster...?" he then turned to face Cheng and gave a proper bow.

"What is the matter?" Cheng asked, not pleased to be interrupted like that.

"Well...it's..."

"Speak. What is it?"

"Just now, a blue flying sword destroyed the nets you set for the young lord".

"How many?"

"All of them"

Guan-yin tried hard and succeeded in hiding the smirk, only faintly be seen by the corner of her lips. She glanced at her uncle, who was as serious as ever, but she knew it was him responsible for the damage on the nets.

However, her amused mood quickly disappeared as she felt the tension rising and building up. Even the sky above them was covered by clouds, giving an eerie and dark feeling to the forest. Her eyes went to Cheng who was messing with his ring, the dormant form of his mighty Zidian.

Her hand subconsciously went to her sword, resting on the hilt. This could and most likely would not end well; Cheng being known to be strict and hot-headed in certain situations.

Jin Ling must have sensed the same intention as he started to draw his sword, but his uncle noticed. "Behave" shocked, he looked at him. "Did I tell you to draw your sword?"

Defeated, he pushed the blade back to its sheath and folded his hands in front of his chest. His eyes went from his uncle to Guan-yin, whose hand never let go of her sword.

Sizhui, as per usual, decided to come to everyone's rescue. Unlike the two cultivators of the main branch, he was not easily angered, and he barely had any true temper. Bringing his hands forward, he gave a bow.