Chapter 13

The following days passed by and I lost count of how many they were. My routine had changed and so did my sleep patterns.

After my exposure and my escape from the Wens, I stayed hidden and used the skills I picked up the one year I was travelling alone to survive.

I slept on top of trees, hunted whatever small animal I could see and most important I killed whatever Wen patrol tried their luck

Wen Chao and his lapdog had retreated but patrols were sent occasionally, almost every day to check. I suspected they knew about the reinforcements or they waited for the duo in the cave to die before opening it.

Of course, they didn't count me in. I made sure to eliminate each one and I was thankful they were coming in small pairs. My body was still suffering from releasing my spiritual energy in such a way and without proper recovery, I couldn't do much

The wound by my side had reopened when a Wen managed to catch me off guard during the night. I could tell it was getting worse despite the small treatment with water and some leaves I used on it.

Yet I kept fighting and using my mind to stay above. I questioned how long I could do that but I didn't stop acting. I had lost my family at the celestial mountain and I was not ready to lose the one here.

In my paranoid and tired mind of frenzy, the thought of death that terrified me didn't bother me anymore. I could barely register whether I would die there or not and didn't mind much either.

The Hope that Xichen was alive barely kept me going and by each passing day, my mind believed more the fact that he was gone. It hurt as it had never hurt before but at that moment, it was no different from anything else on my body; external or internal.

On one day where I was sure I was reaching my limits, I stayed on a branch. I was lying there, eyes closed as I tried to ease my mind. A night patrol the day before had interrupted my small sleep and then I refused to sleep again in fear of sending more.

The sound of a tree branch breaking under a shoe echoed and made my eyes snap open. I looked down, expecting more Wens but instead, I saw disciples dressed in purple.

Cheng, I thought and a smile appeared on my face after all those days of hardship.

He seemed exhausted but he kept going and he had brought help. I was about to greet him when I spotted an Archer hiding in some bushes nearby.

He had aimed for the young cultivator but I was faster. Without a second thought, I jumped and landed on his back, the blade I used for so long piercing his chest.

Everyone turned with their weapons raised but were shocked when they saw me standing above the dead body of the man.

"Tengchao...?!" He exclaimed and I knew why.

I had taken off the top robes I wore since they were cut and useless and instead used it to tie it around my torso and somehow protect my wound by my side.

My upper body was bare except for some insect bites, superficial wounds and the bandages around my chest.

"Yes. I am a woman. Long story short. You have maybe until tonight before the next patrol arrives" I explained as I stood up and wiped some sweat from my eyebrows.

"You have been here all along?"

"Yes. Someone had to keep guard. How long has it been?"

He was shocked, his eyes double in size. "...7 days..."

7 days. No wonder I feel like shit. Excuse the language but my manners were long gone along with most of my sleep and parts of my sanity.

"I see" was all I said and stayed silent for e moment, glancing at the foreign blade which was stained with dry blood. "Once you save them, please don't mention I was there"