Chapter 22

I flew Zixiu as fast as I could, heading straight for the source of dark energy I had sensed. The ominous black clouds above me only intensified my fear of what I would end up finding once I reached my destination.

Qiongqi road

It was less of a road, more of two paths that were connected by a chain and wood bridge. Familiar dark energy was released, attacking Jin cultivators.h

I ducked at the last moment and jumped off my blade. With a front flip, I landed on the right robe-railing, my blade by my hand.

"Wuxian!" I shouted above the force of his attacks and the wind.

"Xi. Have you come to stop me?" he asked, and I could see that he talked because of anger and rage.

"I didn't come to fight you. I came to check" I said as the dark energy slammed a Jin cultivator and tossed him in the big opening between the two lands.

"Then check around you!"

At that moment, only, did I realise what had I ended up into. Wen bodies were laying on the ground, dried and fresh blood puddles being everywhere. Those that were alive were mostly older people, women and children dressed in Wen Robes.

They looked starved and weak, with chains around their bodies to secure the big chunks of rock that were forced on their backs. Rock pieces that had their clan's history written on it, so many hundreds of years ago.

My stomach turned at the sight, my eyes going from surprise to anger once I realised who was behind it. This was what people were not talking about. I glared at the few, wounded cultivators who seemed to be responsible for this.

I felt Wuxian's anger, I felt the effect of the stygian seal, and I was so close in joining.

I didn't realise what was going on until I heard the snapping sound of bone. Looking at its source, I saw Wen Ning with chains around his hands. However, it was not himself. He was a puppet; a zombie and I knew who had brought him back.

He was not controlled though, going on a rampage with Wuxian's power-boosting him. It was terrifying to see the agility and the monstrous power he had.

Sensing a presence and eyes on us, I turned and looked behind me. I saw Clan Leader Jin, Clan Leader Yao and their disciples at the top of the rocky hill. They watched us all, the sadistic ruler enjoying seeing Wuxian unleashing his anger.

Wuxian helped remove the shackles from the prisoners, some holding an unconscious Wen Qing.

"Take your family and get out of here!" He told them as he followed my gaze, seeing the man responsible for the pain around us.

"Wei Wuxian!" Clan Leader Yao said, his hands on his waist. "You released Wen Ning and slaughtered disciples of the Jin Clan. How dare you?"

I glared at the older man, feeling the need to butt in and give him a piece of my mind. Before I could, though, someone else did.

"Slaughter?" Wuxian repeated, giving an unimpressed glare. "They have abused over a hundred people to death. Half of them are elderly and children. Isn't that slaughter?"

"They are all evil. How can they be compared to our disciples" was his excuse and I scoffed, turning my body halfway to look at him properly. Show him I was not persuaded either. He seemed surprised, but I could feel that it was Clan Leader Jin who kept his eyes on me.

From one side was Wuxian with the Wen Clan members. At the other side, the 'righteous' Jin and their allies. And just like the bridge, I was right in the middle. Not fully taking sides but feeling as I would have to.