Chapter 23

The Wedding took place merely a month after Wuxian freed the Wens. In that one month, he had resided with them in Burial Mounds. With special boundaries and protection talisman, no one could ever enter.

Well, no one but Cheng. He had fought Wuxian before returning wounded and tell everyone that he had deserted the Jiang Clan. I wasn't able to see him, but Wangji did.

He informed him of the small wedding that took place in Cloud Recess, more like a union between Xichen and me. It was nothing grand, and the word spread fast across the cultivation world.

Wangji was kind enough to hand Wuxian a letter for me since now, as the wife of the Lan Clan Leader I couldn't do much. I had to escort Xichen or help with the responsibilities of the clan.

Let me tell you, that even as his wife, still, I was not too fond of Yao coming and going through Cloud Recess on an almost weekly basis.

Yet, not all were bad. Despite Wuxian being in the Burial Mounds, Wangji said he had settled nicely, and the people he had saved looked after him. He had also managed to bring back Wen Ning, make him be a talking and operating zombie that didn't attack like a wild animal.

His popularity had also increased, many calling him the Yilling patriarch. Some said they wanted to follow him, others masking as him to sell their inventions. There were so many things going on around that name; it was more comical than serious if you ask me.

Yanli also got married to Zixuan and stayed pregnant shortly after. Giving birth to a baby boy, the couple organised a special ceremony to celebrate, and she had invited Wuxian.

That was it, that was the moment that Wuxian would be able to be reunited with his family. The moment that perhaps would make the path shine under the sun and go smoothly.

But it wouldn't be.

A fight broke at the very same road Wuxian claimed his independence, a conflict with Jin Zixun who brought a small army with him to attack the Yilling Patriarch. It led to a fight between the two forces, Wen Ning protecting his master and friend.

Zixun interfered, wanting to stop the madness before Wuxian overdid it. Because if he did, he wouldn't be able to reunite with his sister.

However, something went wrong. Wen Ning ended up killing him instead, forever ruining Wuxian's chance of salvation. Worst came right after, when the Jin Clan demanded the two Wen Clan Leaders.

They said that if they surrendered themselves, the incident would be forgiven and Wuxian would not be blamed.

So, now, I stood in the great court of Qishan. I was at the very front, the Lan disciples forming a line behind me. By my sides, lines of the other clan disciples could be seen. Up the stairs, lifted on a special platform was the coffin of Wen Zixuan.

He would be given a goodbye of honours and justice, with torches lighting under the dark, cloudy sky. The respected Clan Leaders were at both sides of the coffin, amongst them being Xichen and Wangji.

I couldn't join, and I had to stay down. Better because I didn't feel being in any proximity to Clan Leader Jin.

"Today, the Jin Clan of Lanling, the Nie Clan of Qinghe, the Lan Clan of Gusu and the Jiang Clan of Yunmeng and other clans, are holding a ceremony here, we are united as one at this moment," Clan Leader Jin said, standing in line with the other clan leaders while holding a cup of liquor. "To pay tributes to all our fallen heroes!"

"My their spirits live forever," Clan Leader Nie said.

"May they rest in peace" Xichen added.

Cheng stayed silent as the crowd repeated.