Chapter 9

After the incident at Cloud Recess, the Wens took it a step further in making sure to remind everyone who held the other end of the lease. With a new order, they forced main disciples and cultivators from all clans big and small to come to the Nightless city for indoctrination.

As it was expected, Jiang Cheng had to go but as per usual, Wei Wuxian joined him; never leaving his brother alone. As they stood at the very same spot that less than a month ago, he was crowned Archery Champion, the clad in black cultivator looked around.

This time there was more sun than before and the image didn't look that horrific. Yet, there was something that drew his attention directly. Two young girls, female cultivators standing at one side and talking.

"I can't believe there are girls here. The Wen Clan is being unreasonable" he said to his younger adopted brother.

It was known that women cultivators were rare, and most didn't possess the qualifications or the proper training for the hardest conditions and fights. Yet, two had shown themselves even though they looked around uneasy.

Of course, they had no idea that some like me were qualified for much more. However, my gender had been stayed hidden and at that moment it was even better to keep it like that.

I stood next to Wangji as per usual, but my attention was at the two boys that hadn't noticed us yet.

Wei Wuxian kept looking at his brother who barely said a word, having recently being scolded by the demonic woman he had to call mother. He tried to act more like the main discipline and not cause any ruckus that could endanger his family and clan.

Suddenly, Wen Chao started to walk towards the main table at the top of the stairs he usually sat. Having the same cocky smirk, he placed his legs on top of the table and laid back as if he was owning the world, which he did feel like that at that very moment.

Suddenly, a woman with very revealing clothing and big...I mean big chest sat on his laps. For a moment I blinked and stared, never having to witness such a thing. Truth to be told, I had noticed a few women when I first left the mountain but up there and then being in the cloud recess I didn't. Obviously.

Yet, it wasn't the woman that drew my attention as the look that Chao was giving her. It was lustful and very dirty, making me shiver since he had a similar look when he almost exposed me after the incident at Cloud Recess.

Thankfully for me, I knew how to stay hidden and there were other women to keep him occupied, like the two female cultivators. He didn't even hide his stare which sickened me and simply made me add another reason at my list for killing him extremely slowly.

The passing days since he burnt Cloud Recess was spent with my mind constantly making scenarios, I could exact my revenge on him. That and worrying over Wangji. The whole walk the forced us to do made his injury worse and I had no medical experience to help him.

Speaking of him, I didn't fail to spot as he leaned slightly forward and grabbed the robe from the side of his injured leg. I had broken my leg once, but I could only imagine the pain without any treatment and after the walk and the standing we were forced to endure.

I looked at him, not speaking but my eyes didn't hide the worry. Especially how he almost got his other leg broken by defending me. Sensing a pair of eyes on us, I turned my head and realised that Wuxian had spotted us.

He seemed worried since his eyes travelled from the in-pain Wangji to me. I had made sure to keep my hand with the baggy sleeve by my side to hide the fresh wound and blood which had dried on my clothing.

I didn't want to show anyone I was injured and especially the young boy who cared for others more than he did about himself. Thankfully, the attention was drawn when someone from the top cleared his throat.