12

Florence

Once mom's hair was done she quickly got changed into her dress. It was nice off-the-shoulder emerald dress that hugged her upper body more than she liked it to. It flowed down instead of puffing out, with a slit along one side to show off her flashy high-heels. It looked nice on her.

Her hair was put up into a tight neat bun, with a few curled strands falling down on either side of her face. She even wore a little makeup to go with the look. The only time I've ever seen her go all out like this was in photos. Very old photos.

"Are we ready to go?" Eurus asked but they way he said it was more like a command then a question. Mom nodded silently and was still checking herself out. I think she was more stunned then I was. "Great! Our rides are here," he announced before taking out the front door. We reluctantly followed him, side-by-side.

"You look awfully classy," mom snickered, slightly picking up the dress as she stepped off the porch. "You're one to speak." I scoffed. She elbowed me in the side before nearly tripping over. "These bloody heels!"

"Need assistance, Misses Baker?" Eurus asked, emphasizing the misses. I guess he learnt his lesson last time. He stuck out his hand to which mom reluctantly took. "Thank you, Eurus. You really didn't have to invite us to this party and cover all the expenses!" Mom gasped while looking down at the dress yet again. "Oh, please. It was the least I could do." He hummed with a pleased expression. The least he could do? What did that mean?

Once we reached the sleek black limousine he opened the door for mom to crouch into then stared at me expectantly. I quickly hopped in with a thud. I hadn't realized how low limousines were. Then again, I've never been in one.

The inside was mostly black with gold trimming on basically everything. The seats where comfortable black leather and there was a tray for drinks. Once Eurus hopped in he immediately went for the iced water, skipping the other alcoholic beverages.

I looked through the tinted windows and stared hard at the other black vehicles. A few guards got the first two and started driving ahead while the other two stayed back. Only when we started moving did they follow suit. It was somewhat comforting and scary having guards around.

"One of my good allies is hosting the party. It's mostly for show and the 'solidarity of the new treaty'." He waved his hands around while speaking the last part. He didn't seem too impressed by it which ate at my nerves. "Wicker and Slade might show their faces but who knows. Those two are lone wolves," he shrugged.

I had to take a moment to think about who he was talking about then remembered those were Rian and Remus' last names. He didn't seem too pleased with that either. "Anyway, if I disappear halfway through the night just know I'm at a meeting." He sighed. Mom and I exchanged glances. There were a couple minutes silence with all three of us staring outside.

"Lisa. Tell me more about yourself." Eurus suddenly said. I looked at mom and she seemed startled. "W-Well. What would you like to know?" She asked. He shrugged looked around. "Anything." He stated. She exhaled then started fidgeting with her fingers. I guess that's where I got it from.

"Well I was born in O'Ceal-"

"By the sea?" He asked. He definitely had a thing for cutting people off. "Yes, that's right!" Mom said. She was excited someone was actually interested. She began talking about growing up in a fishing town and how it was always raining there and how she used to chase the ducks that use to poop on her porch every morning.

"Then I met my husband- Francis-  here in Miradel! It was only for a week but I knew instantly that I wanted to spend the rest of my life with him," she sighed happily. Normally she was sad whenever she mentioned dad. "And your husband? Was he already on the High Order back then?" He asked. That caught both of us off guard. "Uh no. We were only teens back then would you believe it-"